OOPS.. I TIG'd my NUTS together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OOPS.. I TIG'd my NUTS together

Back when I got my TIG machine.. I couldn't stop TIG'n things together.

-Adrian

lol 3 nuts , you are a better man than I.

LMAO.

by the way I still want to sky dive but need about $1,400 for a sky diving lessons, but im saving.(lessons and 6 jumps)

my "nightmare" of the day, the septic tank is full, YYYYYAAAHHHHGGGGGG.( we have to pee outside and I dont want to talk about #2)

two steps forward, one step back.

lol better days to come for me my friend...

have fun man, mike.

Comment

I have a septic tank- not in the Mental Institution but in Spain. I'm a Spanish Don- Don.

My wife who is equally barmy, planted a tiny date palm tree with its roots in the tank.
      It is now bigger than the house.

I invite those that I don't like to come and eat the dates. It's a sort of getting your own back.

Norman

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NORMAN ATKINSON:

I have a septic tank- not in the Mental Institution but in Spain. I'm a Spanish Don- Don.

My wife who is equally barmy, planted a tiny date palm tree with its roots in the tank.

I invite those that I don't like to come and eat the dates. It's a sort of getting your own back.

Norman
        </font>

You are a very strange man.

Comment

I'd take that as a compliment Norman

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Here's a 100% xray 10,000psi socket weld for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.pbase.com/smokedaddy/image/42819648

-SD:

Comment

Not too shabby! Now lets make it even better.. I think there is some undercut that occured right here:

-Adrian

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NORMAN ATKINSON:

Norman
                </font>

Like this, Norman?

http://web.onetel.com/~duttondock/Pictures/privy-1.jpg

(آ© Dorothy Hartley 1954)

Tim

Comment

Three Phase, this is likely a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway. Is a little bit of undercut necessarily bad? I'm to thinking that you can't have it unless you have good penetration. Is that right or wrong.

No one, except maybe some old girl friends, has ever accused me of having good penetration. If anything my stuff usually looks a little cold.

I'm a rookie welder but so far my stuff holds together okay !
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Your Old Dog:
                    Three Phase, this is likely a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway. Is a little bit of undercut necessarily bad? I'm to thinking that you can't have it unless you have good penetration. Is that right or wrong.

No one, except maybe some old girl friends, has ever accused me of having good penetration. If anything my stuff usually looks a little cold.

I'm a rookie welder but so far my stuff holds together okay !
                    </font>
                    Undercut itself doesn't have to be bad, but it's an indication that the joint is not as strong as it could be. If that joint doesn't need the strength, then it's not really an issue, so it really depends on what you're welding. Say you're welding up a spindle for a gokart.. Any undercut that occurs where the axle is welded translates directly into a weakness. If you need the strenght of a 1/4" bead, it doesn't take very much undercut to get the strength of a 1/8" bead.

-Adrian

Comment

The "undercut" you were pointing to was Irrelivant.However if it was on the inside of the bead it would have been, maybe.

IMHO

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
                        The "undercut" you were pointing to was Irrelivant.However if it was on the inside of the bead it would have been, maybe.

IMHO
                        </font>
                        Maybe undercut is irrelavant for the type of work you do, but it's certainly not irrelavant to me.. Don't tell anyone over in a NAPA racing shop that undercut is irrelavant, they'll laugh and think you have down-syndrom.

Your Old Dog,

Here is a good example why you want to avoid undercut for critical welds. I think a basic gokart spindle is a good example:

Assuming both have the same penetration, here is a cross-section of a strong spindle joint:

Here is a cross-section of a weak spindle joint due to undercut and lack of filler. If you held this spindle in your hands and looked at it, you might be under the impression that it's very strong and there's nothing wrong with it:

-Adrian

Comment

Adrian,

Good eye ... and I agree totally with you. Undercut is extremely serious especially if it were subjected to fatigue loading. Plus I agree, you can always improve on any weld. The weld indeed passed QC. I don’t believe in this particular case that the weld is undercut, rather, simply not filled properly up to the edge of the socketweld (as it should be). In any case, if it were undercut, the amount present at the surface of this completed filet weld was within the specification. I thoroughly understand that undercut can entrap inclusions (in the undercut) which inturn may be covered by a subsequent bead (I was a heavy wall pipe welder for quite a few years). I’m also quite aware how serious undercut is when a reduction of the base metal’s thickness takes place at the toe of a weld, like on a butt weld or fillet.

Anywho … this was for Arizona Pubic Service Hydrogen Pilot Plant (a Alternative Fuel Pilot Plant). The Plant also compresses natural gas on site and fuels internal combustion engine test vehicles that operate on 100% hydrogen, and blends of 15 to 50% hydrogen and compressed natural gas.

Am I nuts or what &lt;grin&gt;
                          -SD:

Comment

Smokedaddy,

There is no question that is a great weld. I'm just a hobby welder so I'll probably never get the chance to have something X-rayed so I wanted to try and find an imperfection without using an X-ray

It's hard to tell for sure from the picture but It does look like there is some undercut. I'll draw a picture of what I think it looks like at a different angle.

It might just be a reflection, but I amplified the undercut from the side view in this picture:

-Adrian

Comment

Adrian....that's an easy fix. Not sure what position you had that in when you welded it. If it was in that position....hold your filler rod a little higher near the top of the weld. Also....very important with tig....watch how close you get the tungsten to the edge of the weld and keep it close. If you pull away a bit to far it broadcasts the arc and will burn out the edge. If you get a bit close and undercut it...sometimes you can back into the weld and "smooch" a little filler up into the undercut. Be aware....back off the heat as you weld also. That's what gets most guys in trouble.
                              BTW...On a 6" pipe, groove joint, tig in and out...we are allowed 1/8" TOTAL length of undercut for the entire weld. That's over a length of over 36" (both sides of the cap). They start adding all the little fingernails of undercut together....over 1/8" of undercut....YOU FAIL SUCKER! Some of these 6" joints can take 4 to 6 hours to weld...you don't want to fail.
                              Russ
                              I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Working...
                              X