Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unknown indexer - what is it, can I find parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown indexer - what is it, can I find parts?

Hey there all. A while back, I bought out a guys home shop, which included an Atlas horiz mill, an SB9 lathe, and a bunch of tooling. One of the items is an indexer of some sort, shown here. I got some collets with it, and they're marked "Hardinge", "3PN", and size. The collets can also be used on the Atlas.

The indexing gear has 48 teeth, and has absolutely no backlash. This thing seems pretty cool. It also looks like it mounted on some kind of base where it could rotate or be locked down, like a rotary table. The round base is marked off in degrees, 0 to 90 to 0 to 90 to 0.

I would like to find out more about this thing. Can I find the base for it? How about an indexing gear with other tooth counts? Help me out here, fellas. Now the pics:

-Mark

Whoa, those are some big photos. Lemme tone that down a bit.

There. That's better.

[This message has been edited by Wirecutter (edited 06-25-2005).]
    The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Will this indexer fit in place of the compound rest on the sb lathe? If it does, does the center height match the lathe spindle?

Just looking and thinking,
    Frank

Comment

Good thought. I don't know if the mounting style matches up, but I'll go check and repost later. I'm still discovering stuff in all the boxes I got with the machines. Thanks.
      The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

It puts me in mind of this one in a recent auction on eBay. I sort of wanted it because it was B&S #9 (same collets my mill takes) but didn't take the plunge.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Comment

Indexer for versamil??

Comment

Maybe a tool holder for a cutter grinder. 48t would let you do 1,2,3,4,6,8,12,16,24 and 48 tooth. looks a bit like the collet holder on this

[This message has been edited by Stanko (edited 06-25-2005).]

Comment

My guess is that it is an indexer for a tool and cutter grinder. Looks like it is missing the swivel base.
              Harry

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wirecutter:

Good thought. I don't know if the mounting style matches up, but I'll go check and repost later. I'm still discovering stuff in all the boxes I got with the machines. Thanks.
                </font>
                I checked, and I can't find a configuration where the center axis of this thing will line up with the lathe centerline.

From the photos, it does look a bit like an indexer for a tool cutter/grinder, less the swivel base. The thing that troubles me about that is that this thing is so clean. I've had it apart, and it's just smooth and spotless, despite the appearance that it's "been around". If it were part of any kind of grinder, shouldn't I have expected to find some kind of gritty residue? Like I said, though, it does look most similar to the other photos. Thanks, folks.

-M

Comment

Working...
                X