Building my own Kwik Switch collets..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building my own Kwik Switch collets..

Two or three items I am working on need thier dedicated Kwik Switch collets.

I really hate bidding on them on ebay. It seems they become more valuable each time I inch the bid up. I have bought several things from them thou, the ball bearing jackobs chuck on KW200. I get my butt kicked so often when I try to buy one I get mad.

I have the drawings I found on the net. [url]http://toolingsystems.com/univ/kwikswitch/specs/kwikswitch_{/url]

Looks to be a complicated piece, but doable. The last one I tried to make on the lathe was miserable. I chucked it in the "beer bottle bin".

I need 1, to hold dial indicator to find hole centers, 1, to hold the scanner Laser trac from Sears, 1 to hold a flat indicator to plumb the head. 1. to hold a bearing to make my router happier with a shaft drive. Right now I have the above mounted to a 1" arbor and change them as needed.

I have a nice synair castable plastic, it hardens to a rockwell 93 you can tap and drill, less than 1% shrinkage. DO you think it would make a good non-powered adapter? I can make a plaster cast and pour one. Is that ideal a waste of time?

------------------
    David Cofer, Of:
    Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

http://www.toolingsystems.com/univ/k...dimensions.htm
    try that again...

Comment

David, the weak spot I see is the drive or locking tangs. What size holder are you looking for? The 1" ? Those are handy but pricey for some reason. JRouche
      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

David: When you say it hardens to a Rockwell 93 that surely can not be the Rockwell C scale, can it? A plaster mold might not give you the finish you want. I have some Dow Corning molding rubber that might work. The stuff I have may have out lived its shelflife because I have had it for about 25 years, but it might still be good. I was using it to make rubber moldes for pouring lead bullets and down rigger weights. Dow was making two types of this rubber, the type I have left said you should use vacum deairing to keep bubbles out of the mold. That is why I never used it. I could send it to you if you want to try it. The nice thing about this stuff is you made a mold by pouring it over the part you wanted to cast. Let it harden, cut it in half with a thin knife. Because the mold was rubber it could be flexed so it would release a part that you could not cast with any other type of mold.
        Gary P. Hansen

In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

I think the lasertrac @ $39 from Sears is a good buy, just to use it to align my offset aero for the cnc.

That is the first application for this. I have a old collet type KS200 I may use for it. The arm for the camera is probably going to be a old dial indicator rod and nut.

I got so many things going on. I can't seem to work on the ones I want to. I guess that is being a adult.

I priced the Harley to someone, perhaps that one will soon be deleted. My goofy son got his girlfriend pregnant and needs help.

------------------
          David Cofer, Of:
          Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Comment

Gary:
            I too have some old rubber mold that is very old.. I have not had good pulls from it. They always turn out warped of incorrect in size. I do appreciate your offer.

David

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
              Gary:
              I too have some old rubber mold that is very old.. I have not had good pulls from it. They always turn out warped of incorrect in size.
              David
              </font>
              IBEW,

Do you think this has any bearing on the fact your sons got his girlfriend up the duff?

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Ibew...

If you use a gauze or even window screen in your mould, it will help stiffen it up. Makes one heck of a difference.

-Jacob

Comment

Are we talking about making Kwikswitch adaptors or collets to fit into an adaptor?

The adaptors are difficult to make. I bought a couple of Collis brand, supposedly interchangeable with Universal. Had to send them back for rework. There's a fine line between a good one that releases easily and one that sticks. If Collis has a hard time making them, do you think even a well equipped home shop has a chance?

Comment

Working...
                  X