OT: Need a job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Need a job?

Go to Hinton, Alberta. My daughter took a few pics around town the other day.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 06-20-2005).]
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

7,8,$9.00 Per hour cdn thats about what US$?

5,6,$7.00?

Comment

The good jobs aren't posted on the help wanted signs. The fact that there are so many service jobs is an indicator of how well the economy is doing there. In Ft. McMurray the defacto minimum wage is around $10 per hour even at McDonalds.

Comment

Alberta's economy is at a fever pitch. Any place associated with the energy industry is stretched for labor of all types. Wages are ecalating and inflation can't be far behind.

Comment

Well at $8.00 an hr wages would want to be escalating....

Minimum wage here in Oz is around AU$12.00/hr

[This message has been edited by Ringer (edited 06-20-2005).]
          Precision takes time.

Comment

What you don't see on the help wanted signs are low skill level jobs like mill cleanup. $17 to $20 for sweeping up sawdust and unjamming wood handling equipment. Basic oil patch laborers start at about $22 per hour and if they are willing to live in a camp onsite can make $100,000 a year. Skilled workers can make a lot more.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
              Go to Hinton, Alberta. My daughter took a few pics around town the other day.

</font>

I am gonna take that pic and go show it the illegals that hang out on the street corners looking for work here in Phx. Maybe a few will go up your way.

Comment

Hell, I'll even help pay their way up there! They'll take those low paying jobs at half the going rate. Is that Phoenix Arizona, or Old Mexico ... hard to tell nowadays.

-SD:

[This message has been edited by Smokedaddy (edited 06-20-2005).]

Comment

That's already happening. The strawberry crop is coming in and there aren't enough local pickers in the Vancouver area. On the news they said the are flying in mexican pickers and even as far away as the Carribean.

Comment

Evan, you're right about the signs. I noticed the same thing here in the US about 10 or 11 years ago. The fast food joints started giving everyone a job application for a place mat. Our economy is such that you can't get into a restaurant to spend your disposable income without waiting 1/2 hour for many. That's on a Wednesday night, not Friday!

The machine shop at the end of the road has a rust help wanted sign out.

I admire a lot of this kids who take these menial job and work'em so hard. Sometimes I don't think these kids understand how much some of us admire them when they step up to us, put up a tired smile and say "Good afternoon sir, what'll it be" Sometime I just damn well know from the fire in the kids eye he's gonna be somebody when he grows up. I'm not real good around kids but everynow and then you look into the eyes of your equal, at less than 20 percent of your age.

I think it's pretty neat that your daughter put all those signs together. I take it as a sign that maybe the worlds gonna be in better hands than we think. Has she built any flame throwers, thermonuclear devices or other hostile apprati yet?

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 06-20-2005).]
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

"I think it's pretty neat that your daughter put all those signs together. I take it as a sign that maybe the worlds gonna be in better hands than we think. Has she built any flame throwers, thermonuclear devices or other hostile apprati yet? "

BAD DOGGIE ! BAAAD DOGGIE !
                      ROTFLMFAO

Comment

Got a friend in Calgary who tells me a halfway decent CNC setup man can just about write his own ticket up there and in Edmonton about now. Calgary's a real nice town too from what I've seen of it. Might have to check it out if they keep systematically destroying the US economy down here.
                        Pete

Comment

Hi. I'm the one who put the pics together. (note: you're going to get a rant here...)

I work at one of the three small local grocery stores. We can't hire a body to save our lives. Not high school girls not anything. There is so much work available here in Alberta is is ridiculous.

I have never seen anything like it before. Stores all over town have cut back on their hours due to lack of staff. The staff you do hire has no incentive to keep their job. They know full well that if they don't get that day off they want they just won't show up. If they are fired... so what... they go to the next place walk in the door and start working.

What about job references you say... nobody bothers with those anymore cause they're just happy someone "wants" a job.

These are pictures of signs I took without bothering to get out of the truck. They are all low level entry positions. There are so many people moving into town to work at high paying oil and gas industry jobs ($24 and up entry level) that the housing can not keep up. There are no houses to be bought and not enough companies to build them. If the guys that are working the rigs are not bringing families into town then there are no wives/teenagers and such also looking for work.

The hotels are booked up solid every night of the week. We are doing so much business at the grocery store the irony is that we are making enough to support another full time postion!

Anyway, the collage of pictures started when a punk kid went through my till and complained that although he had graduated high school he was unable to get a job. I may have gone off on him a bit. The pic has been sent to the paper along with a letter and the title "GET A JOB"

Rant off.

Take care,
                          Sarah

Comment

i just saw a show on sbs tv australia saying small towns in america have serious unemployment problems ,because wall mart is buying all its products from china,a trillion dollars in profit worth each year.wall mart is now affecting american balance of trade with china. people should take those jobs,got a feeling they wont be around much longer.

Comment

Not much of a rant. Believe me, I know.

BTW, she's a manager there.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 06-22-2005).]

Comment

Working...
                              X