Shop Layout Help.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the name of this topic should be " Shop space on wheels"

how did you deal with the rolling shear?

I hope you are not chasing it around jumping on it too.

Comment

JRouche, does you unit hang from the ceiling or support from the ceiling and 4 or 5 " wheels on the bottom? Really a neat setup!

As a rookie, if I had much plain wall space I'd likely make a "wailing wall". Some place to go cry when I really mess something up. The "crying towel" is loaded with grease and holds too much swarf to be of safe use.
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

3 Phase: Dont forget to get a nice sized pipe cutter and trim that pipe outta there

Your Old Dog: The doors(3) roll on some bearings I had on hand. I cut a 3" wide strip of 16ga. sheet metal to line the concrete floor that the bearings ride on. The sheet metal strips are surrounded by a wood guild for the bottom of the doors. JRouche

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Am I missing something here? 15 FEET of vacant wall?

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tattoomike68:
            the name of this topic should be " Shop space on wheels"

how did you deal with the rolling shear?

I hope you are not chasing it around jumping on it too.
            </font>
            I think I'm going to place the shear where the tool chest on the end next to the poll is.. That was the original plan before I got the chests idea. I'll probably move that chest to another location because the shear on wheels fits in that spot nicely. The shear is pushed up against my welding/shop table right now.

JRouche: I'm wondering what kind of storage units I can mount to that pole. Maybe just a bunch of hooks to hang things from..

-Adrian

Comment

Hmm. You asked for a picture of my shop wall...

This is one of them.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

i don't think Adrian uses those tools. look how shiny they are. no marks on the sockets from turning them with vise grips, and no weld splatter from using them as welding jigs. plus i don't see any cracks in the sockets from putting 5' cheater bars on 1/2" drive sockets to get 500ft-lbs of force on a nut.

i do like the rolling toolbox idea. in fact i bought a second one a few months ago to put the various small machine tool accessories into that i was accumulating over the past year.

andy b.
                The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

That's exactly what I wanted to steer away from I really wanted to have most of my items visible but it just wasn't going to happen without utter chaos.

-Adrian

Comment

It's a simple consequence of having too much stuff. I also have four roll arounds full of tools and basically three shop areas. The garage where the pic is taken, the machine shop downstairs and the buffing and grinding room isolated from the machine shop. Also not shown in that pic (it's a couple of years old) is my Strands drill press and the horizontal band saw which live in the garage.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Yup, that's my new socket set that I haven't touched yet. My old set is scattered around all over the place in my garage and basement. It would probably take all day to find them. I found one of my old deep sockets on my lawn the other day. Musta rolled out of the garage and down the driveway last year

-Adrian

Comment

I see that pipe that some want you to take out as a nice support for a macho swinging overhead bank of flourescent lights that can be swung out where your working. I've also seen guys make brackets and mount grinders on pipes just like that. It's an asset, not a liability
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Your idea of using the Craftsman cabinets I understand but I found that the 2 double deckers I have will hardly can be considered portable after I loaded them with tools. I put some marginally better casters on them and they still don't move without lots of pursuading. I use 5 of the Craftsman benches upstairs (2 more in the garage) but most of my benches are built on metal Lab cabinets.

20+ feet of benches on each side of this isle facing each other plus the metal overhead cabinets and storage above that.
                          As you can see, even with lots of drawers there is no garantee the bench tops will be seen.

When I see an opening on a wall I build more storage shelves.

But they fill up so quick!

[This message has been edited by Steve Stube (edited 06-28-2005).]

Comment

Your right, I can barely see anything in those 160 x 120 thumbnails.. Do you have larger versions?

-Adrian

Comment

Geezs, the big photos were too big and the small ones too small. Hope this is okay.

Finding more storage space to put things away is a never ending battle I have found.

If you go to this link and look at the electric room you will see more evidence of clutter.
                              http://www.chaski.com/ubb/showflat.p...=all&fpart=all

Here is about a 12' bench with 1-1/4" Birdseye Maple top I remember building it but haven't seen it for a very long time.

I have lots more in benches and cupboards but I'll spare you the trouble of trying to see a CLEAR bench top - I don't have any.

Comment

I've been trying to find space to mount poly bins because I love being able to just see inside them when I'm looking for bolts, nuts, etc.. I mounted a bunch of poly bins behind my lathe on the wall:

I also recently built a drawer for my Welding/Shop bench that's around 40" wide, and 20" deep and 3" tall where I keep some hand tools that give easy access to thgem while working on projects on my bench:

I'm going to build 3 more drawers like that one. My shop bench will soon be completely clean on top when I finish moving all of the crap into the chests.

-Adrian

Comment

Working...
                                X