Almost got a new shop saw today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost got a new shop saw today.

The drain already has a screen. Even if some swarf gets into the coolant tank, it will just collect on the bottom of the tank. The pump's pickup is in a baffled section and wouldn't pick up swarf anyway.

-Adrian

Almost got a new shop saw today.

I almost got a new shop saw today from Grizzly. I went down to the shipping terminal to pick it up. The forklift operator was backing down a ramp and made a turn at the end of the ramp and the saw tipped over and smashed the ground. Oh well, I can wait for another one but the poor guy driving the forklift was shaking afterwards.

The same thing almost happened with my compressor but the forklift driver quickly lowered the forks and it prevented it from tipping over.

-Adrian

Comment

I was waiting for the shipping company to unload a brand new high speed photocopier for a customer. I used to install and repair those machines. This was a machine that weighed over 1000 lbs and cost maybe $50,000. They rolled in on its casters from the truck onto the lift gate. The lift gate drooped slightly from the load and it kept on rolling. It fell off the gate and landed flat on its side, a fall of maybe 4 feet. It made a most amazing sound as all the optical system parts shattered, sort of like dropping a tray full of wine glasses on the floor.

My schedule was suddenly free for the day.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

My Schedule is free right now too I was going to spend most of the day making room in my shop for it but I get to relax instead. The saw (750 lbs) tipped over on the forklift from a height of about 12". It crashed hard. I just took a peak and refused it. Poor guy operating the fork lift was in shock.

-Adrian

Comment

What kind of saw was it? H/V? Vertical band?

Comment

It was Grizzly's new Horz bandsaw (G9744Z). I don't think it was very top heavy either. I just think the forklift driver was going too fast. He backed down a ramp, then tried to swing it around and face my truck but he tipped it over and WHAMM.

-Adrian

Comment

You going to be cutting 8x8" chunks of steel?
              Nice looking saw.

Comment

Speaking of forklift accidents, I worked in the trucking industry for right at 20 years and I have seen some that would make your hair curl.

One particular that comes to mind is when we were transferring a load of palletized Steel tire cord from a 27' "Pup" trailer to a larger one. The load weighed right at 43,000 pounds. The dollies on the "pup" were set about 6 or 8 feet from the front. The forklift operator did O.K. for about 2/3 of the load, but when he ran up past the dollies to start on the last row, the "pup" began to nose over with him as he had forgotten to see that a tractor was hooked up and the air brakes set. I have never seen any one man move so past in my life. He was out of the back of the trailer and up on the platform before the nose of the pup hit the ground. Someone crept back down into it and turned off the motor of the forklift, and we called for a large wrecker to come pick the pup back up and put a tractor under its 5th wheel. The forklift operator was an African American, but he looked like an Anglo when he came out of the back of that pup! We were very fortunate that it was a laughable incident instead of being a tragic fatality.

Comment

It was weird because when I saw it tip, my stomach jumped and then quickly relaxed because I remember my last pickup a different operator tipped my air compressor but quickly uprighted it by dropping the blade quickly (it was no big deal for him). When the saw started to tip I figured no worries, he's going to save it.. It took me a second (after it hit the ground) to realize he's not going to save it

Normally I go pickup stuff at the terminal late at night after work. I'm on vacation all week so I went down this morning. Maybe the night crew have better skills.

-Adrian

Comment

whoa! Nice saw!
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Nice saw. I had to pass on a Marvel 8 for about the same price not too long ago. No $$
                      Techno-Anarchist

Comment

I think it WAS a nice saw. Hopyfully Grizzly sends out another one soon. New Penn is the shipping company that trashed mine. I should request that a Tawian forklift operator handle the next one.

-Adrian

Comment

That is too bad Adrian. It looks like a good saw too.
                          Warren

Comment

I don't get it Why are these guys in such a hurry is there boss on there ass our do they have a hot date? I would try to get a deferent shipping company. Could you imagine what they do with things that people don't pick up?

Comment

Grizzly is shipping another one so it's no big deal. The thing I like about New Penn is the terminal is about 1 mile from my house and I can pick stuff up until midnight so it's really nice. I'll remind them what happened when I pick up the next one.

-Adrian

Comment

Working...
                              X