OT, Kawasaki 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT, Kawasaki 750

Picked up a 1979 Kawasaki 750 yesterday. Definately not my first choice in bikes but it was free. Needs some work on the brakes etc. but should start up once I charge the bat. Anyone know of any groups that would be of help for repairing restoring this bike?
    PS it is a 2 cylinder four stroke model.
    ------------------
    Paul G.

[This message has been edited by Paul Gauthier (edited 06-26-2005).]
    Paul G.

One reason I have not fooled with the japanese motorcycles are that parts are so hard to get.

There was a local Motorcycle scrapyard for about twenty years. He could charge whatever he wanted for the parts cause they couldn't get them anywhere else. (Big Jim Loweman)

He ended up owning over 300 apartments in Chattanooga Tn, paid for with japanese used parts. His daughter drove a vette to college so they tell me.

I strongly suggest to anyone who can to do this if they can get away with the zoning laws.

A friend bought a Mustang seat for his Honda, Same harley seat from same dealer was $225, his Honda seat was $650. Probably cause they have to change tooling every two or so years.

(I rode a 450 honda around here for a couple of months.. loved the overdrive. It'd do 100+ with my 300 pounds on it) I could pick it up and turn it around like a bicycle. It's over the shop to train Lady riders.

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 06-26-2005).]

Comment

This is not a group but good wisdom for motorcycle repair.
      http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

Non, je ne regrette rien.

Comment

I left out, my buddy Mikey?.. He purchased a six cylinder Kawasaki for $70 and parted it out on ebay.. parts brought over $1100 but he had to dissassemble it and ship it all over the world. One guy in England got a lot of the motor parts.

Comment

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ub...c;f=1;t=012649
          Gene

Comment

I took my test on a Kawasaki 750 twin, it had a sidecar attached at the time.
            I spent many happy times taking people on impromptu flying lessons in that thing, once I passed the test the sidecar was removed and I rode it solo for a while.
            I ended up being high sided off it in a car park, and ended up on my back looking at the sump plug of a Land Rover, I was not hurt but the bike's forks were banana'ed.
            It had one main mechanical fault that I can remember, the alternator rotor used to tighten itself onto the crankshaft when the electric starter was used, it sometimes nipped up onto the alloy engine casing and seized the thing solid until it was stripped down each time.
            I got rid of it after a 250 Yamaha showed me a clean pair off heels at around 95mph.

Phil

Comment

my dad had one of them sitting in the garage for almost twenty years until i sold it for him a couple months back.

mom said hide it when i was born so i wouldn't get any ideas. didn't stop me anyways, i've been riding dirtbikes for almost a decade.

we let it go for $750...
              -paul

Comment

I thought you meant the 2 stroke triple, what a beast!

THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

That 3 cyl was a real honest to goodness 'cheap thrill machine'. When you screwed it on and it built a few r's, all of a sudden it came alive, best to be hanging on and paying attention or it is road rash time. I've pointed the headlight to the North star a few times. Stayed with my '47 knuckle head with tank shift, suicide clutch, and all its oil leaks. Ok, that was a few years ago.

Comment

Seeing as I posted this at the other place I may as well here.

I Love 2 strokes, Ive tried to get the whole set but Im happy with this lot

Loud pipes save lives.

Cant understand all the fuss over 4 strokes.!

Comment

Paul, I'm in the middle of rebuilding a '75 Honda. Our local library has a couple good books on the subject, so you might see what yours has to offer. e-bay is a good place to start, too, as most of the vendors float an auction every few days to keep their names out there. F'rinstance, Sirius up in Canada has carb kits, fork seals, master cylinder kits; that's only one outfit but you get the idea. Also, as parts and descriptions come up, you'll get other clues for sources. Some things are tough to come up with; like side covers command top dollar. Also, check with the dealership, as some stuff is still available. Good luck!
                      I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

My first street bike was a [email protected] 1972 Kaw Triple. Handled like ****. Bored .080 over with wiescoes 38 mm carbs and machined heads and denco pipes. Handled so bad was like youd have to be on it. Wound it out and dont know how fast it went was too busy trying to keep it on the centre line of a two lane highway. I think i gotm it up to redline and some extra in fifth gear but it was a horror to drive. I put 28 miles on it and later sold it. Glad i did, Kinda useless if you want to live to be a bit older.

Comment

As you can see in the photo I posted above, that killer engine was attached to a frame and forks of bicycle like dimensions. The original "flexible flyer". Add in the narrow hard compound tires and brakes not up to the potential of the engine, and you had a real hand full!
                          THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

If it's the twin you'll like it's performance, mine was a 1974 I believe. I went to the next size larger jets and new pipes and it screamed. It was great out of the hole but would stitch or weave a thread down the center of the highway at 80mph. Mostly I just waited for red lights to turn green and came to my senses about 4 seconds later until the next red light came along. Sold it to buy a house.
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I had a 1968 750 honda, yes, I said 1968,'69 was the first 750 allowed in the states. A guy bought it overseas brought it back and put it in storage after a year of rideing.I picked it up in '77 with 3500 miles for $500.Wish I still had it.

Comment

Working...
                              X