Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wal*mart

Wal-Mart heir dies in plane crash

(CNN) -- Wal-Mart heir John Walton died Monday when his ultralight aircraft crashed after taking off from an airport in Jackson, Wyoming, the company announced.

I wonder what happened... ?

-Adrian

Plane fall down, go boom

Comment

Musta used parts from K-Mart... a.k.a Kame-Apart.

-Adrian

Comment

Blue Light Special!

BLS

Comment

This is the only photo I've seen of the wreckage:
          http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/n...ohnwalton.html

They said there would be no investigation, but a lot of experimental plane crashes show up here:
          http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/Month.asp

It usually takes a couple days for a preliminary report and a year or so for the conclusion of the investigation, if there is one.

One of the articles I read earlier mentioned that the wind was gusting to 16mph at the time of the crash. That seems like a lot for a tube and fabric ultralight. I thought most of the ultralight flyers did their flying in the morning or evening when the winds and turbelence were likely to be less.

One of the news programs on TV this morning had a very quick video pan of the crash area. You could see some large passenger jets in the background, so the crash must have been very close to the runway. From the terrain and the wreckage, I'd say he was completely out of control when he hit. An engine out landing should have been survivable with little damage in that sort of terrain.

I'd like to know what happened and what kind of plane it was.

It's a real shame. It sounds like he was a decent fellow.

Roger

[This message has been edited by winchman (edited 06-28-2005).]
          Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

He's worth all that money and he is dinking around in a little ultra light...

Comment

Sheesh! All it woulda' taken was one of these...

http://www.brsparachutes.com/

I, personally, wouldn't build a plane without one!

Comment

Some of the ultralights I have had a close look at I wouldn't trust under radio control. Very poor design, especially of things like attachment of control surfaces. Many ignore the most basic design rules for loading of hinge bolts placing them in bending instead of shear.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

For what it's worth, I found an article that suggests the plane John Walton was flying was a CGS Hawk. Here's a picture:

More info here: http://www.cgsaviation.com/hawkultra.htm

Roger
                  Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

The plane itself looks like it would be very well mannered even at stall speeds. It looks like if he stalled it, the nose would dip, and regain air speed/lift.

By the sounds of his take off and immediate crash, I'm wondering if he lost his elevator control cable, or had a wing strut disconnect causing excessive wing warping and wasn't able to compensate with aileron.

-Adrian

Comment

The following quote comes from rec.aviation.homebuilding:

“Just for the record and to stop speculation it was a CGS Hawk Arrow II. When I
                      sold the kit to John I had no idea who he was .Our dealer in W.VA helped him
                      build it and it was my impression he was going to N number it. He flew it home
                      to Jackson Hole WY from W Va about a month and a half ago. When I last talked to
                      him he was happy as a clam .It was set up for mountain flying ,it had tundra
                      tires, heavy duty tail wheel and big engine.He also had a set of floats for it.
                      He had a bad landing a few weeks ago and we sent him parts to repair the damage.
                      I don't know if this was the first flight after the repairs or not

None of us knew who he was, he acted like any number of guys I've met who
                      enjoyed to fly and talk airplanes. He said he was a corporate pilot and flew in
                      one time with a Citation to check in on his plane. That's all we know now and
                      anything else is a guess. I'm in contact with the NTSB and will offer any help
                      requested of me.

All we can do at this time is to pray for him and his family .The guy I knew
                      wasn't a rich and famous guy he was one of us. Rest in peace

Chuck Slusarczyk “

This plane is not considered an ultralite. It had two seats, therefore, it would be classified as an “Experimentalâ€‌

http://www.cgsaviation.com/twoplacearrow.htm

Comment

Geez, it looks like the tail section is held on by a piece of sanitary drain pipe.

Comment

The prices keep coming down and apparently so does the Walton planes.

Jerry

Comment

An old friend of mine used to be a commercial pilot.15years ago he built himself an ultralight for"a bit of fun".He reckoned he never frightened hinself as much as when he was flying that thing!He got rid of it,and was going to buy a "proper"aircraft,but nixed that idea when he found out the hangarage charges .
                            Money doesn't buy happiness,but it does help a bit

------------------
                            Hans
                            Hans

Comment

Well that's what he gets for using screws from his own store...

HTRN

------------------
                              This Old Shed
                              EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

Working...
                              X