No announcement yet.

Tipsbook 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I posted one some time back on making smokeprints but never heard back if it was of use to anyone or accepted. It won't replace blueprints but it sure makes some layout jobs easier and it's as accurate as any fingerprint. It may be old hat and common knowledge to machinist but I'm new to the craft!

The old thread is here:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Fo...ML/010571.html

If that tip don't fly here's one that might. I always have trouble perfectly matching up existing bolt holes with a new manufactured part. I hatched this idea. Take a 4inch threaded rod of the size needed and run some nuts onto it so that it can be locked up in the milling machine vice. Then mill exactly half way thru a 1/4 inch section of each end. Cut the rod in half and you have two devices that, when screwed into the holes you want to measure and placed so that the threads face each other, a caliper can be placed across the flats to tell you the center distance between each hole. Has to work better than eye for most folks and much faster. A set could easily be made for the popular bolt sizes you work with. It will damn near work in the dark which is good cause I spend a lot of time in the dark

EDITED TO INCLUDE: I later found out these already exist! Guess I sort of re-invented the wheel as I see them mentioned in another post on relocating two holes!

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 07-05-2005).]
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Hi Craig.

See my post regarding hockey pucks. Pretty low tech, but it seems everyone I tell says "why didn't I think of that?"

Rick.

Comment

Now this one has been around my shop for so long I had forgotten it could be a tip.

Keep an old deck of cards and old medium or small screwdriver near the epoxy and J B weld.The cards are cheap stir pallets, and screwdrivers clean easily with a paper towel.Pop sickle sticks work well also then it can all be thrown away.I keep popsickles in the shop freezer for the summer heat, It can be a treat.

Comment

To avoid bashing your legs on a milling machine when not in use .do this to the handles.
          ....put them on back to front

all the best....mark

[This message has been edited by aboard_epsilon (edited 07-03-2005).]

Comment

Plumb you air compressor intake to the outside of your shop. Then use an automotive oil filter for an air filter. (Wal Mart Super Tech ST2 screws right on 1/2" pipe.) It cuts down some on compressor noise, and keeps the airborn particulate out of your compressor. I do alot of welding, grinding, and even some painting in my shop. This gaurantees that none of that stuff is clogging my filter, and better yet extends the overall life of the compressor.
            Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)

Comment

Any update on Tip book II ?

Comment

Tipsbook 2 is in the hands of Clover McKinley, the Executive Editor of our metalworking magazines for a final look. From there, it will go to the Art/Design department.

It's entering the home stretch.

Craig

[This message has been edited by cfoster (edited 07-05-2005).]

Comment

Soooo, any tips posted now will be in #3?

Comment

I don't know if this is a duplicate, but here it goes.

When I mill steel, the chips just seem to get everywhere, especally on me while I'm turning the crank.

To solve this, I custom cut a protector from
                    a 3 litre plastic pop bottle. I cut off the bottom & top, making a cylinder about the right height. Then I slit the side and just clip it on my setup. Sometimes I have to make other cutouts to make it fit.

It contains nearly all the chips, I can see my work, and it's not too expensive.

Neonman

Comment

This is an item I made years ago it is an adjustable carriage stop for my South Bend heavy 10 inch tool room lathe. I use it in conjunction with the dial indicator set up on the back side of the lathe. I removed the original adjustment screw from the carriage stop and made a new one and drilled it out to take a 1/4 " rod with a thumb screw to adjust it to any needed length. It is a very handy and quick way to set up your carriage travel The 3 pictures should demonstrate its use. The idea should be adaptable to any lathe.http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59...n/07050002.jpg

Comment

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59...n/07050001.jpg
                        http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59...n/07050002.jpg
                        http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59...n/07050003.jpg
                        This is an item I made years ago it is an adjustable carriage stop for my South Bend heavy 10 inch tool room lathe. I use it in conjunction with the dial indicator set up on the back side of the lathe. I removed the original adjustment screw from the carriage stop and made a new one and drilled it out to take a 1/4 " rod with a thumb screw to adjust it to any needed length. It is a very handy and quick way to set up your carriage travel The 3 pictures should demonstrate its use. The idea should be adaptable to any lathe.
                        sorry for the duplicate post. I guess a senior moment.

Comment

Hey Guys

I hate to keep posting and running, but these are busy times for us.

IO: Yeah, but since its so hard to predict the "publication" length of tips, I may keep my eye on a few just in case it comes up short. If that is the case, I'll be in touch with some authors.

So if you've posted recently and haven't heard from me, don't sweat it. You're number may be called into the game yet.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                          X