X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRITZ LIVES.. progress report

Finaly sussed out the electrics,
    On My Fritz Werner 2.210 universal mill
    Fritz now runs in all his speeds and all motor directions....and quietly. thanks to a new bearing that i put in on the fan end of the motor آ£5.40
    All I've got to do now is put the knee back on followed by the table and let him take a few cuts to proove himself.
    if all goes well ......will be followed by a strip down and paint in the original war surplus khaki green...but gloss instead of semi-gloss.
    all the best.mark

[This message has been edited by aboard_epsilon (edited 06-19-2005).]

Mark how do you sex a milling machine might be a little girl well done in the meantime make sure you get your آ£0.99p worth Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Do they name little girls in Germany Fritz.
      if so he will be having a sex change
      btw my German speaking neibour recons werner is pronounced... not verner.....but varner..is that right Alistair.
      All the best.....mark

Comment

It was all about pressure washing today......didnt want to trial assemble it because all the parts were covered in grease with muck stuck to it.
        looks like a pile of scrap at present....
        the photo is of the undersides of the table

all the best..mark

[This message has been edited by aboard_epsilon (edited 06-20-2005).]

Comment

Not tried the vertical head on yet
          but here is the machine fully assembled.
          tried the table traverse today .works fine.
          quite clever in that its auto-reversing.
          despite its apearence it has very little wear on it
          and should look superb after the spray job

all the best...mark

Comment

Well, if it doesn't work out, it looks like you could make a cool table saw for the wood shop with it

-Adrian

Comment

Ask Alistair for options on green paint,he's the expert on that particular colour!

------------------
              Hans
              Hans

Comment

Took my first cut with it today.
                worked fine,
                No buffeting ,vibration or motor strain...I've come to the conclusion that it's a very well made machine with little wear on it.
                ... but the 7 diametre x 1/4 thick HSS cutter was turning a bit fast.
                Has anyone any idea of the rpm for this size of cutter I should be aiming for.
                please dont quote feet per min...as the speeds of the spindle table are all in rpm.
                I dont want to get in to maths....just a ball park figure will do.
                eg.
                2 inch ..equals ......so many rpm
                3 inch ..equals ......so many rpm
                and so on and so on up to 7 inch
                some thing in the way it's cutting tells me it should be at 30-40 rpm.
                I have carbide tipped cutters as well......what would be the percentage speed increase on these.
                The table speed charts are in feet per min though.
                I can work that out myself just by how its cutting and the feedback it gives me...sound,heat,noise and the look and colour of the chips etc.
                all this info I want,just to get me started on it ....to just quickly give me an idea where to begin...once I've sorted that, it's all down to my senses to fine tune the different set ups for the change gears.
                all the best....mark

[This message has been edited by aboard_epsilon (edited 06-27-2005).]

Comment

So.... you gonna paint that thing huh? What type paint are you planning on using? Been thinking about some paint for the ol Van Norman and I have been trolling for ideas on paint types.

rock
                  Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Well it's going in this colour.
                    which is as close as I can reproduce here that shows what it was originaly

sorry Hans it's green

will have a word with my local paint factors as regards the type of paint.
                    they tell that they have an industrial grade 2 pack and they will mix it to the colour of my choice ......works out I have to get 5 ltrs min ...price includes the activator .with...what ever mix ratio it turns out to be, i will end up with over 8 ltrs of paint for about آ£50..............I've come to the conclution that two-pack car paint is too soft for machines.......and the above quatity would have cost me over آ£150 in car paint.
                    Primer also 2pack as I've stated before, will be darker that the finish coat..this is because if I get scratches .they will not stand out like a sore thumb.. but look like just a dirty smear.
                    This is a new idea I'm trying with the primer..fingers crossed.
                    all the best..mark

Comment

Ok Rock
                      Ordered the paint today.
                      It's made by Ameron International
                      the primer that I'm using is called Amerlock 400c
                      this is a full 2 pack epoxy.
                      described as
                      high performance self priming universal high solids low VOC....SEMIGLOSS..THIS WILL BE MIXED TO THE COLOUR I'VE CHOSEN.....which just so happens to be called spruce.

It will be spot primmed first in the rough areas with a brush then rubbed down and given 2 mist coats to seal the surface, followed by heavy coats..
                      when cured it will be finished with polyuethane 2 pack called .
                      Amercoat 450s.
                      Described as gloss aliphatic polyurethane topcoat.
                      These coatings are reconed to be just about the best avalable by my paint factor.
                      if anyone would like to see the data sheets on this stuff i have it ..and I can scan.
                      All the best..mark

Comment

Let me have a copy mark will you please ?Alistair

Comment

pdf's !!!!

http://www.ameron-bv.com/products/pr...free=&ordner=p

http://www.ameron-bv.com/products/pr...free=&ordner=p

all the best..mark

Comment

BTW the above
                            This is not a recomendation for this paint.
                            if all goes well with the application of the stuff and if it lives up to expectations ..then it is a recomendation.
                            stay tuned for my expliots.

Be a while yet as in currently modifying one of my old shaper gears to drive my verticle head...
                            stroke of luck ...one of the old shaper gears just happens to have the exact pitch of the other driven gear on the head
                            and I don't have to worry about the centres as it is adjustable for this.
                            just have to figure out how to mount the gear on a int30 arbour.

Also have to make an arm that captures the vertical head off the top of the coluum swings it out of the way and puts it into storage mode..so I dont have to struggle.

As well I have turn and engrave new buttons for the main stop start switch
                            all the best..mark

Comment

Mark would an int 30 with a stub for a jacobs chuck do?Alistair

Comment

Working...
                              X