Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving a bridgeport - With that little car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving a bridgeport - With that little car?

http://bridgeport.rubberdinosaurs.com/bridgeport.htm

Just stumbled on the above site. I liked how the fella got the thing into the basement.

Main page - http://bridgeport.rubberdinosaurs.com

rock-
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Yup he takes more risks than i would take .just look what happend to his clausing mill

he posts here ...so I'm not going to say too much

all the best..mark

Comment

YUP, large machinery is dangerous to move, to you, the machine, the building, the vehicles, the floor, the .......... Probably why insurance carriers don't even want you to have a ladder on the property.

I should've took pictures of the 24"x120" lathe that went through my wall. Not real proud of that either. I didn't have a fence and it was opened up for hte crack heads to rob for days..

I love my dog.

Comment

Yea, I can think of some lessons I learned. Rolling a mill would make me feel bad for weeks.

Honestly, I was supprised that the car had enough a$$ to make the tow. I have always had a truck of some sort. Guess I have been a bit spoiled with it.

Still, must have been a bummer to have that mill flip. Hope he was ok.

rock

Further reading turns up that he made it out but not without a bit of a reminder. Sounds like he got a serious deep bruse on his leg.

But ya got to admit, he tells the story and didnt hide what happened. I might have "adjusted" the tail a bit if it were me.

[This message has been edited by rockrat (edited 07-03-2005).]
        Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

I liked the cart he made up for moving the BP around the yard. I did do something similiar with a furniture dolly by adding another set of casters on each end. Only it never moves the direction you want it to.
          Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

I guess I would be thinking of getting it out of the basement when you move,or in 20 or 30 years when you are really old. Or would that be the kids's problem when you die?

Comment

Guys,

You're talking about two different sites, documenting moves of two different mills, by two different owners.

The Bridgeport went where it was supposed to with no problems whatever. Except for maybe a little rust from all the sweat which ended up on it. Next time I'll wait until a nice cool January to move something like that.

The Tercel had plenty of oompf for the move. Maybe too much, as there's that temptation to get the whole rig up to 70 on the highway - mucho dangerous when hauling all that inertia. It takes more self-control than some people have to keep the speed down. Way down. Toyota wouldn't have been adequate in mountains or hills, but eastern Mass. and RI are pretty flat.

The Clausing was a near-disaster, documented at
              http://www.truetex.com/moveclausing.htm
              but I can't take credit for it. The moves that don't work too well are more valuable lessons than the ones that do, which is why I linked to that from the Bridgeport site.

Comment

Hope you will accept my apolgies then Sauer

perhaps you should refraze this .

Now 'twould be a poor world indeed if we moved nothing but Bridgeports. So here are some other interesting Adventures in Moving -

to

Now 'twould be a poor world indeed if we moved nothing but Bridgeports. So here are some other "peoples" interesting Adventures in Moving -

then we wont all think you are breaking things
                all the best...mark

[This message has been edited by aboard_epsilon (edited 07-03-2005).]

Comment

Good idea, will do. Thanks.

Comment

Only thing I would do different is make the trailer out of treated
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Put a hairline fracture in my right lower leg moving a 8900 lb. NakaTome Slant 2 - this was 2 years back. Took five of us to move it to begin with. The hateful machine worked about 10 months, then the masterboard crapped out. To expensive to fix, the ball screws in great shape, the rest of the control in great shape - about $4000.00 into it in new boards and tooling already.

Yup, have to sell it....can't wait to move the SOB. Anyone want a Slant 2, the price is you have to move it out.
                      CCBW, MAH

Comment

Now I know what I am in for. My up coming move won't be so bad. The big mill and lathe are in the garage. In the basement is my 7 x 12 and mt mill/drill.

I helped a friend put a large bank safe in his basement. Learned my lesson.

Jerry

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jfsmith:
                          Now I know what I am in for. My up coming move won't be so bad. The big mill and lathe are in the garage. In the basement is my 7 x 12 and my mill/drill.

I helped a friend put a large bank safe in his basement. Learned my lesson.

Jerry

</font>

Comment

Just had some fun moving a large 4'x 2.5'x bout 4" cast iron surface indicating table cast legs..very heavy unit...got it for free, had it set upside down in pickup..bit of groaning but it handled it well...took off tailgate and used ramps with cribbing and tractor to drag out...tractor not strong enough to drag on its back..so hooked to pickup and dragged up to driveway (good for cleaning the table top) then used pickup and chain to flip with come-a-long on otherside to prevent over-rotation or it slaming onto legs and cracking...should be a great welding table

scott
                            "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

I admire the hell out of the guy in the rubberdinosaur site! I hope the hell everything works out for him. I'd really like to live next to a neighbor who thought he could do anything and then do it! That would be a lot of fun!
                              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
                              X