Slightly OT- Made in China but Stamped made in USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly OT- Made in China but Stamped made in USA

Hopefully this link will take you to the correct place.

It is about a guy who makes refridgeration testing manifolds in south Florida. He noticed that his sales were falling. Went to a few stores and found that there were counterfits of his product being sold.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/050706/general.html

the article says "Counterfeiting is getting worse because of a number of factors," he said. "blah blah blah

how waking up to reality. how about the fact that the west has exported its manufacturing to a country with business values/ethics that are incompatible with our views on intellectual property.

the west needs to look at import duties until china starts to give intellectual property (and their currency situation) more than lip service.

Comment

I am sorry to say this is not unusual I am sorry for the guy but this has to be brought to an end.It is very bad anyone buying these things to resell should be fined heavily if they are found to be at fault.Alistair
      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

The latest thing to tick me off was "Quality Assured in USA" label on a brake rotor. No mention of where it was made. It annoyed the guy behind the parts counter too.

-Mike

Comment

A 1000% tariff on all good from China will fix the problem but will cause 10 fold more problems, atleast in the mid term.

Comment

Bill, I agree, its a system, you can't pull on one piece without affecting others.

That said, the main reason the admin hasn't done it imo is the consumer (higher prices) and business (many issues) outcry that would ensue. It might the right thing (well maybe not 1000%) to do for the long term, but it also might be political suicide, so things carry on, slipping further into the abyss.

There is lots of press now on Chinese companies buying up NA firms - maybe it'll change when they own the brand

Comment

Since it would be political suicide, you would think an invincible politician (like a lame duck president) would tackle the issue instead of messing with social security.

Jack

Comment

The company that's making the knockoffs is probably owned by an American company.

A few little tools and machines are made by small privately owned companies in China.Nearly all consumer goods are being made by foriegn owned companies based in the US,Canada and Europe.

The guy in the story has a volume problem,his volume is low enough that a small mom and pop company can slip in and make knock offs and slide in under the radar.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jackb:
                  Since it would be political suicide, you would think an invincible politician (like a lame duck president) would tackle the issue instead of messing with social security.

Jack
                  </font>
                  Ending Social security would solve a lot of problems here.But looks like nothing will get done,which is okay too since Social Security will still come to an end.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

"Since it would be political suicide, you would think an invincible politician (like a lame duck president) would tackle the issue "

I think the LAME duck politician you're referring to is too worrried about his place in history at this time.

As it is, he may go down as very unpopular given the mess in Iraq he got us into for no apparent sound reason. Plus, American prestige abroad appears to be at an all time low thanks to that lame-head in the White House.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DR:
                      "Since it would be political suicide, you would think an invincible politician (like a lame duck president) would tackle the issue "

I think the LAME duck politician you're referring to is too worrried about his place in history at this time.

As it is, he may go down as very unpopular given the mess in Iraq he got us into for no apparent sound reason. Plus, American prestige abroad appears to be at an all time low thanks to that lame-head in the White House.
                      </font>
                      Nah, only liberals think that way and they are the minority.

Comment

My clarke bandsaw, thou it was stamped made in the USA, it appears to be the same castings as the chinese version.

Lots more products out there like that, suckering us.

Should be banished from ever selling to the USA once they are caught. BUT then, the offending "source country" would have to get involved and police thier own.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DR:

</font>
                          true. it isn't like terrorists are bombing any other countries or anything.

andy b.
                          The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Working...
                          X