Hurricane-Wierdscience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane-Wierdscience

Hey Weird, are you in the direct path of that hurricane? How are you holding up?

Not this one,it looks like it will make landfall somewhere around the Mobile,AL-Pennsacola,Fl area.
    It's a strong Cat3 maybe a weak 4 by 4:00pm today.Winds close to the eye maybe up to 140+,that means lots of damage for about a 60-70 mile wide swath.They are also expecting a 18-21 foot storm surge.

Worst is those folks down there where hit just last year by Ivan and they haven't even gotten finished rebuilding from that one and this one is worse.In that one a rouge wave was recorded at a hieght of 51 feet,it knocked out the main interstate bridge that connects Mobile with Pennsacola,imagine something that can pick up and move 200ton concrete bridge sections .

The folks in Flroida are on the wet side of the storm,they are really in more danger than we are because of tornados.

We might get 40-60 mph winds and some rain here,but we often get that in a summer T-storm.The bad part is this storm is really early in the season,we got five more months before the season comes to an end.

So thank God we are going to miss this one.The worst part is really the waiting.We have been watching this one for a good week and it does produce a lot of nerves since so many remeber the really bad storms like Camille.

Actually JHartson is closer to it than me,about 45 miles or so,hope he is making out okay.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 07-10-2005).]
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I wonder if it ever occurs to the residents of those pest holes that they could move to the Pacific Northwest where the only natural problems of any magnitude are earthquakes and mountain eruptions and Democrats who raise taxes so they can PARTY on our money.
      Wherever you go, there you are!
      Today we carve our own omens Leonidas at Thermopylae

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Lawson:
        I wonder if it ever occurs to the residents of those pest holes that they could move to the Pacific Northwest where the only natural problems of any magnitude are earthquakes and mountain eruptions and Democrats who raise taxes so they can PARTY on our money.
        Wherever you go, there you are!
        </font>
        Pacific northwest? Crappy beaches don't even have sharks

Democrats and taxes,just remind people that Eutophia is the only country ever to tax it's self into prosperity,that's why it doesn't exist.

Comment

My daughter and son-in-law are supposed to be in New Orleans working to set up a new computer system with one of their sister offices but they have driven inland to get away from the storm. Did they bail out too quickly or is there some danger in being in New Orleans during this storm? We have tornados and blizzards here but no hurricanes so I wonder how dangerous this really is? Thanks--Mike.

Comment

We are getting too many people here in the Northwest.
            Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
            http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

I spent a lot of my life around Pensacola. I have lifelong friends, one of whom was directly in the path, between Gulf Breeze and Navarre. His home is across the street from houses on the water. I talked to him yesterday, and they were staying home. As usual, I couldn't reach him today, but left a message on his cellphone. He called me back about an hour ago, to say all was well, just a few trees down, no power, no phone, the typical hurricane problems. The effects were not as great as the one that came thru last year, probably due to most of the weaker trees already being down, and new roofs just being replaced,etc.
              He also said that sustained wind was not what was advertised. He has been unable to find anyone with sustained wind recordings over 120. Most are in the high 90's with a couple reaching just over 100.
              As a lifelong resident of the panhandle, he decided to purchase a generator last year, so I don't have to make the trip for that. However, if I could transport my 7,000 pound tractor, he could use it...
              One of his neighbors has a new skylight, or will as soon as they remove the tree from the hole.

------------------
              Have gun, will travel.
              A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Comment

Good luck to all you in the path of the storm.

Buffalo's tought region but when the weather gets really bad we just pick up a spare snow shovel. Maybe more gas for the generator. Don't know what we'd do if we had to worry about high winds too.
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mikem:
                  My daughter and son-in-law are supposed to be in New Orleans working to set up a new computer system with one of their sister offices but they have driven inland to get away from the storm. Did they bail out too quickly or is there some danger in being in New Orleans during this storm? We have tornados and blizzards here but no hurricanes so I wonder how dangerous this really is? Thanks--Mike.</font>
                  This one is done,not much left to the storm,it wasn't as bad as first forecast.It came ashore about 240 miles as the crow flys from N.O.
                  If it had been heading there I would have left the city.Most of it is 18 feet below sea level,basicaly a bowl.A strong cat4 or better would trash N.O.
                  With all the forecasting and technology we have these days you still can't depend on the storms following the predicted path.All you can really do is be prepared to leave and if a day or two out it looks like ones gonna hit you leave and head north.

Now we have to start watching the next one,but it's still in the Atlantic,which means about two weeks out for us.

One funny note,local tv station had a group of people setup as a telephone hotline for folks to call and get info on the storm.A bunch of people called in and asked when the Nascar Race would be on

Comment

These hurricanes really get me wondering. Years ago in my small midwestern town a fellow built a geodesic dome home, while odd looking at first we all got used to it. Anyway geodesic domes are supposed to be structuraly supperior to your typical balloon frame home and have the added advantage of not presenting a flat wall of roof to the wind. About ten or so years ago a tornado went through and took out home on both sides of it as well as a bunch of trees, the home was completely unharmed.

So the question is why not more geodesic domes in hurricane and tornado regions?

------------------
                    -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

In Pass Christian, MS it was a non-event. After preparing for the worst over a three day period we missed this one. Have to take all of the window covers down today. Hope we miss the rest of them we don't want another Camille. Tropical storm Cindy made a bigger mess a week ago.

Joe

Comment

rsr911 - Not geodesic, but these are said to be wind resistant, check the section on "Deltec Difference". No connection, just always thought these were a neat design.
                        http://www.deltechomes.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X