What glass bead grit do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What glass bead grit do you use?

I need to get some more glass bead for my siphon blast cabinet. I use it for general cleaning purposes and am looking for a coarser finish than the satin I am currently getting.

What grit beads do you use to clean off paint and dirt? Also, do you know of any tricks to reduce/prevent surging in the pickup line?

Glass bead I don't use to remove rust and trash,it's too expensive and slow.Look for aluminum oxide,black beauty slag,silica sand or quartz sand(use with vaccum dust removal)

If you insist on using glass look for as coarse as you can get like 80-20.

The feed surging can be helped by two things.One is make sure you use a water seperator on the inlet air.Summer time means lots of humidity in the air which has to be removed to prevent caking.
    The second tip is to place a sheetmetal or wood baffle in the bottom of the blast cabinet hopper.Just pick a point about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the cone and measure the dimension of the cone on the inside.Cut out a baffle the same size from something stiff like 1/2" plywood or 1/8" sheet metal.Clip each corner off back about 1-1/2" from the point then cut a knotch for the pickup tube to fit in and wedge the baffle in place in the cabinet.
    What this does is relieves the wieght of the media off the bottom of the cone.Without the baffle the media packs and becomes hard to feed.With the baffle the media is supported and flows back through the corners at a metered rate.
    Hope this helps.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Nice tip on the baffle.

I use plain old sand that is filtered through a window screen.
      John

Comment

tptools.com has a mix of glass bead and al oxide that will give you a fster cleaning time yet still leave the polish look that you want. It comes in a 50lb can.

Comment

Here is another choice.
          http://www.tptools.com/product.asp?b...2C6706%2DCARBI DE%2C6705%2DSTEEL%2C6702%2DOXIDE%2C6120%2D10%2C136 0%2D16%2C6120%2D07%2C&header%5Ftitle=Abrasive+Blas ting+Cabinets%2DGlass+Beads%2C+Other+Abrasives&pag e%5Fname=prod%5Flist%5Fdisplay %2Easp&search%5Ftype=L1%7E143&size1=&size2=&gender =&ShowImages=yes&sq=0&cont=1&intPgNo=1&mscssid=X8S WRLL1SQMB8J28SDP4F6XXEBFA8M50

Comment

I was wrong about tptools having the mix I was talking about. I couldn't find it. The speed bead is a good chice though. I have used it on several projects. It may have been Eastwood tools, but I am not sure about it.

Comment

LOL, I guess I need to read further. The speed bead was the one I was referring to. I went back and read it and slap my forehead.

Comment

JPR

I should have a read up on the health issues regarding blasting with "Plain Old Sand" its all about the free silica etc.
                Very dodgy !!

Phil

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pgp001:
                  JPR

I should have a read up on the health issues regarding blasting with "Plain Old Sand" its all about the free silica etc.
                  Very dodgy !!

Phil
                  </font>
                  Ask any doctor and they will tell you that ANY particulate of ANY type is very bad on the lungs.
                  That's why it's not the nicotine in cigarettes that cuases cancer,it's the smoke(ash particulate)that does it.
                  Think negative pressure in your blast cabinet.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Hook up a vacuum to the cabinet. If you have to do any blasting out of the cabinet, by all means use a hood and a respirator. I have breathed it and took almost 2 months for my lungs to clear up. I only wore the hood and was blasting in my shop with the door closed. Dummy me forgot to provide cross ventilation because it was cold. Never made that mistake twice. The doc told me I would most likely keep the scar tissue from it.

Comment

I should have mentioned using some type of vacuum system with the sand. I have mine piped to a 5 hp system.
                      John

Comment

Working...
                      X