Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten minutes later I have a part to insert in my model

Working on a gadget as normal here.

I need to mount a cherry switch for a servo positioner to "hunt a hole" in a custom cam to turn a much larger gear drive on and off.

I have worked with bobcad 19 for a year. This new program, I had me a useable sized part in ten minutes. Kinda intuitive.

It's a cherry micro switch

David = ear to ear.....

COCK A DOODLE DOOOOOOO... Hear me crow...

------------------
    David Cofer, Of:
    Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Pat, pat, pat on the back. Isn't CAD fun.

Paul A.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

I've been (finally) getting into Autocad at work. I'm looking over a coworker's shoulder and seeing all the 3D stuff he's figured out. It must be obvious to some of the "old hands", but it sure is nice to be able to model your parts and make sure they fit together. Before you make any. Yeah, it's very cool.

So now, on top of all my other afflictions, I'm getting the Autocad bug. Look out...
      The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

A 300 40oz torque servo drives a cam plate, switches are mounted on a plate that is tied to steeing and mounted on a bearing.

This allows a small rc type servo to position a 5-6 amp gearmotor that steers the bot.

Thinking on paper, Thinking on screen now.

David

------------------
        David Cofer, Of:
        Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Comment

What modeling program did you use?

Comment

That is a version of solidworks.

School discount version for a couple of years is 199.. cheap.. No dynamic engineering tests. Cosmos they call that.

It'll actually give you stress analalysis of metal with entries in metal types, aluminum, steel, etc..

I am a long way from playing with those features.

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 07-14-2005).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:

School discount version for a couple of years is 199.. cheap.. No dynamic engineering tests. Cosmos they call that.

It'll actually give you stress analalysis of metal with entries in metal types, aluminum, steel, etc..

I am a long way from playing with those features.

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 07-14-2005).]
              </font>
              I thought it looked like something solid works would do, but I thought the only version you could get was like$3000 (besides an illegal cracked version, and none of us would ever do that). $ 200 isnt bad at all, that is a powerfull program.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:

</font>
                i got a 2004/2005 edition (2 year license) student copy with full EVERYTHING including all of the cosmos programs for $180. you can pick up sw alone without any of the FEA stuff for about a hundred if you look around...
                -paul

Comment

by the way, doesn't solidworks kick ass?

just wait until you try to make a dimensioned 2d drawing from your 3d parts. you can do it in like five minutes once you get the hang of it...
                  -paul

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by psomero:
                    i got a 2004/2005 edition (2 year license) student copy with full EVERYTHING including all of the cosmos programs for $180. you can pick up sw alone without any of the FEA stuff for about a hundred if you look around...</font>
                    Do you have to prove that you are a student somewhere?

Comment

Machinist,

“Do you have to prove that you are a student somewhere?â€‌

I steered my nephew last year towards a student edition of SW2004 – he said he had to provide a copy of his student ID. I think he paid $100 for it from the dealer he went through.

plm

Comment

What is getting me is the ease of use.

I screwed around with bobcad, a blackhole. When it did generate tumulduous code it only supported ballend mills.

This works.

ANybody got any good cad-cam convertors for gcode? I got freemill on here. The deskproto looked great and worked great, but.. was 599 if I remember..

You can take solidworks into truespace6.6 and animate it.. cool.. Solidworks animates too but I have not got that far along yet.

David ( another drunk biker just called trying to cheer me up)

Comment

Why did you have to make a part to insert in your model? And when did you start dating models? Didn't she come with her own cherry switch?

Comment

Spence a model with a cherry switch would be a thing of extreme rarity.

I have to draw the mount for the servo, the mount for the bearing shaft and the arm to attach to the steering linkage.

Pretty neat when you can put it all together before you put it together. (and waste a day machining)

***#@3*
                            Well that! plan just sucks.. back to the drawing board. It was hanging on the transition between the groove and the flat on the cam..

Outside cam now being drawn. Kinda like a car camshaft, except indexable between sides to allow for adjustable deadband.

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 07-15-2005).]

Comment

Why can't we start a HSM correspondence school for learning CAD-CAM drawing and G-code programing via the internet? Say for a $10 registration fee we can enroll and get a nice certificate of enrollment that would qualify
                              us for all these "student price" goodies.

Comment

Working...
                              X