Total Newbie question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Along the lines of what John said......

Bouncers in nightclubs can frequently tell if an ID is real or not without even looking at it. Handle enough of them and you can feel the fakes.

Same with measurement. As for the eye, it's an acquired feel from doing it enough times.

Now this is gonna sound like the blond leading the blond but like you, I have poor math skills and no trig in high school. But this little bit of knowledge has helped me simplfy things.

There are 1000 .001's in an inch so
    a half inch would be .500 .001's
    1 quarter of an inch would be .250 .001's
    1 eigth of an inch would be .125 .001's
    and so on.........

On most equipment I've fooled around with .001 is one tiny mark on the dial. (this does not include the crosslide as the angle it's set at changes the depth of cut)

Hope that didn't oversimply things for you but like I said, it wasn't easy for me to understand either. (that's why I couldn't get into machine shop in school - poor math skills)

As for converting fractions to decimal, I just divide the bottom number (denominator) into the upper number (numerator). Use a calculator

I don't give up because the list of those who didn't is endless, Al Hirt flunked music in college, Kennedy was a terrible speller, Einstein couldn't keep track of his lunch etc. etc. etc.......

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 07-19-2005).]
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
    X