Optical center punch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optical center punch

Darryl, McMaster Carr carries such an optical punch. I have one and have accuately located many holes with it. It is a little pricey at about $50 but worth it. By the way I'm a newbie and from the Detroit metro area and never realized it mattered where we are located.

Thanks, LR. I could have guessed that they were an available item, but I've never seen one. I'll have to look into it.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

KBC had some on sale too.Had the flyer,but pitched it.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

take a look here

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42936,50298

Comment

Hi Labrat

It is very easy to make your own Optical centre punch - and the accuracy when using this tool is fantastic

------------------
          Mogens Kilde
          Mogens Kilde
          http://m_kilde.skysite.dk/

Comment

I have the one from Lee Valley, but find the cross hairs a bit thick. I bought another one from a small supplier that someone on this board recommended. I can't remember the name, but a check in the archives would most likely bring it up. It was about the same price, though not as well finished externally, the cross hairs were finer and I found this easier to use and the holes were a bit better positioned.

This is not to slight Lee Valley, hey I'm a Canadian and Lee Valley is sacred here (I can hear the neighbours already gathering to lynch me).

Otto

Comment

Labrat, it don't matter where you're from. But if I had a homemade optical center punch, I'd invite you to take a ride over and check out my shop. Looks pretty much like anyone is welcome here. Hell, there's even a lot of red necks and Canadians on this site and a good many Limey's

Ray..........
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Mogens, I like it. That looks like a good project to combine some shop skills. I think what I'll do is scribe some crosshairs using a very sharp tool in the crosslide and the indexing feature I set up for the lathe spindle.
                What I'll do is first mount a chunk of metal in the toolholder, then with a drill bit in the chuck I'll be able to drill a hole in the chunk directly centered on the spindle axis. Into this hole I'll fix a piece of drill rod which has been ground to a sharp point and ground to a diameter to fit the hole in one operation to ensure the tip is perfectly on axis. I'll make a very slight flat at the tip so there's a bit of a cutting edge there and that will be my scribe.

I'll have other uses for the scribe, and the optical punch will get lots of use as well. Thanks for the idea.
                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I have an On- mark made by I believe PEC tools. It has a little circle at the base of the lens. Your scribe lines are the cross hairs. It works well. Shop around though I have seen the same Item priced from $45 us to $85 US.
                  I tried making one from pictures and it did not work. I think I made the base too tall and it does not let enough light transmission to the work surface. Also getting the lense to focus may be an issue? Also used poycarbonate for the lens. any input from the guys who have made them sucessfully?
                  Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

Like Tin Falcon, I have an On Mark punch. It's one of the most-used accessories in my shop. It's not cheap, but I got mine on sale for much less than what my time and materials would have cost me.

Orrin
                    So many projects. So little time.

Comment

On Mark is the brand I have from McMaster Carr. It aso is very often used. Why just punch a center, when in a couple seconds more, you know it is exactly where it's supoossed to be? I am intriqued with the Veritas picture however, and may just try to make something as pretty.

Comment

Labrat, If your post was meant to be a gouge in reference to my post,It doesn't matter where you are from, it is just that most of us fill out all the questions when they regester, and a few even read the rules.Not that it matters either,the rules are bent for some, broken for others and enforced on a few.

Comment

Enco has the optical center punch. Price is about $40 US. I bought one and am very pleased with it. MSC, who owns Enco charges about 1/2 again as much for the same one.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'm a Canadian and Lee Valley is sacred here (I can hear the neighbours already gathering to lynch me).

[/B]</font>
                            once was a day i would have agreed with that, now i'm a garrett wade man, unless of course i need some trinkets, giftware or gardening stuff. too bad what LV has done to themselves, on the other hand they have grown quite a business by going more mass market

oh yeah, another voite for the on mark cp

[This message has been edited by Mcgyver (edited 07-19-2005).]
                            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
                            X