Correct cutter orientation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct cutter orientation?

Is the lathe cutting tool orientation to the work piece any different for carbide than HSS?

tia
    Len

Cemented Carbide or inserts? Insert tooling is designed to be presented to the work in a specific geometric relationship for it to work properly. One reason why I don't think lantern type tool posts and insert tooling go together. Even with HSS there are so many ways one can grind tooling that the relationship of the tool to the work presents an almost infinite ways to skin any particular cat. Personally myself I prefer to use either a solid type tool post or a quick change type (either the wedge or piston) no matter if I am using HSS or carbide. To me holding the tooling in this type of set-up eliminates just one potential source of flex in the set-up. The more rigid the set-up the more predictible the results IMO
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Specifically, the tools on the left side of this page.
      http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2005/main/519.cfm?
      With a turret tool holder, would they straight in to the work piece?
      Len

Comment

they're generally set up with the shank square to the work.

-Justin

Comment

I tilt the turning tool tip slighty towards the chuck so I can turn or face with it,even with a quick change block.

an Insert threading tool need to be square to the workpiece, same with a parting tool.

Comment

These tools have vey specific cuting edges designed in. So what direction do they cut? put your hands in front of you palms down thumbs to the side of your hands. your thumbs point the direction of cut.The left hand tool cuts left to right and the right hand one cuts right to left. so you would use a left has tool for facing and a right hand for turning. the tool would be level and set at or just below center line of lathe. I would only use these on a lathe capable of high speeds. They are designed for high prodution rates. Repeatabiliy as in CNC and to save shop time by not spending it on tool sharpening.If you have an old south bend or the like HSS would likely serve you better.also you can buy several HSS or cobalt bits for the price of one insert and make them any geometry you need.
            Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

Working...
            X