Threads for Clorox bottle ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threads for Clorox bottle ???

I need to machine threads in a nylon spool to screw onto a round cross section thread such as found on 1 gal clorox bottles. Any suggestions on grinding tool etc would be appreciated. Also any suggestions on sources for buying Delryn.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

What are you wanting to use this for?

Jerry

Comment

Take a cap and cut it so you have a cross section which includes two threads and then grind a tool that fits in the land between the threads and conforms to the slope of the sides of the thread. You will need to make a threading tool similair to a standard acme internal threading tool. Rake angle should be zero or slightly negative so as not to dig into the plastic. You will have to take very light cuts to keep plastic from deforming.

[This message has been edited by Ted Coffey (edited 07-19-2005).]

Comment

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=158

Comment

It just occurred to me that Clorox bottle caps that I have seen have a threaded insert that you may be able to remove and insert in the part you are making.

Comment

What are you wanting to use this for?
            Jerry

The short answer is that I want to make some spools to screw onto Clorox jugs used for fishing. I am aware that wally world has the Tiwanese version and Wolf Enterprises has a molded ABS version Very well done @ $3.75 plus shipping I am probably going to buy a dozen of these. In the mean time I bought some surplus nylon for $0.60 each. The first time I ran into this problem, I wanted to copy a Neil Jones Baffle for a powder measure. Hogdon Powder comes in a Plastic bottle with a Pill Botle thread. Commercial cutters run about $50. I ended up Epoxying a Bottle cap into my copy. Since the clorox bottle has only about 1 1/4 thd engagement the thread form is probably not all that important however I would like to grind a cutting tool and see if I could get it to look good. It is too hot to fish and the shop is Air conditioned. Appreciate the help and the post on the source of material.
            Byron Boucher
            Burnet, TX

Comment

I think you'd do better by drilling a hole in the cap, and then making a T-shaped adapter that fits between the cap and the bottle with the bottom of the T sticking through the cap for you to attach your line to.

You could even make the adapter with an eyebolt, two nuts, and a fender washer. A little sealant, and you're good to go.

Roger
              Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

The next time I'm at my part time job, I'll copy the offending part of the Clorox bottle print. They do alot of maintenance for Clorox, btw. I was looking at the print Monday and it's kind of a modified Buttress thread.

Andy Pullen
                Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, Clausing 8520 mill, Diacro 24" shear, Reed Prentice 14" x 34"

Comment

Enco has Acetal (Delrin) rods...

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMK32

Comment

The old pill bottle thread as seen on Hogdon Powder bottles is round in cross section. Looking at the newer and smaller pill bottle threads that mate with the clorox bottle shows a turncated or buttress form of the round cross section. Closer examination of the clorox bottle thread looks similar it is just not as distinct due to the way it is formed.
                    Byron Boucher
                    Burnet, TX

Comment

Not sure where they can be found, but there are standard dimensions for plastic bottles & caps. Many makers of them, & they interchange.

Comment

Working...
                      X