Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logan 11 X 36 Powermatic

Hey Everybody,

I’m contemplating the purchase of a Logan 11 X 36 Powermatic Lathe. I’m told that it was in a high school vocational machine shop and it’s very clean. I’ll be receiving pictures via email on Monday and I’m under no obligation to purchase it if I don’t like what I see. It is complete with a 3 jaw chuck, a 4 jaw chuck, face plate, live center, dead center, drill chuck and LH, RH and straight tool holders. It is also a variable speed drive with a three-phase 3HP motor. I’m told that it has been complete gone over and is in “tip topâ€‌ condition. All that said, the questions are, what is the fair market value of this lathe, are parts readily available and dose anyone have any experience with the Logan Powermatic line of lathes? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Bob

Try contacting Scott Logan on the South Bend Lathe yahoo site. I beleve he has most parts for most Logan Lathes. I think it was his great grandfather that started the Company.
    Gary P. Hansen
    In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

.........I have a Logan/Powermatic 11x36. model 1111011-L00H. The L00 is the spindle nose and the 'H' is for the hardened bed. All the Powermatics had hardened beds. Mine is also a variable speed, (40-2000 rpm) but with a 1-1/2hp 3~ Leeson motor which drives the spindle via a 1-1/2" wide poly-V belt, from the V-speed assembly. The lathe was made in 1981.

I bought mine from a friend and paid $1500 for it very well tooled. Early last year there were 2 brand new 11x36 Logan /Powermatics sold on E-Bay. They had been bought by a school district in MD I believe. They were warehoused and never used. Both sold for about $3K bare.

I like mine very much. It runs quietly all the way up to top speed (gears whine at higher speeds). When first fired on a cold morning the poly V takes a few seconds to smooth out. If you get the lathe, order a manual from Scott Logan. These came with 3 spindle nose options. Threaded, L00, and a DI-4 camloc, I think it was. For the L nose, the book doesn't show it, but this spindle has 2 bearings up front, vs the single shown in the manual. They're both the same with the exception of the front one having an external snap ring.

Powermatic varied the headstock controls a bit while they produced them. Mine has a spindle brake with a micro 'off' switch, a rotary fwd-rev switch and individual on and off buttons. Others with or without the brake could have buttons for fwd-rev and an off button.

The apron is sealed and splash oiled (10wt spindle oil),power crossfeed with a lever operated and adjustable clutch.

There is really only one lame item. That is oiling the backgear countershaft. It lies directly under the spindle and has a ball oiler midway of it's length. I don't know what the bright lights at Logan were thinking. For me to get oil to it, I have to remove the brake (no big, 2 screws) on the side of the headstock. Then rotate the backgear to get the ball oiler up at 12 o'clock and engage it. Then I have to fish in a ho-made 90* oiler head to fit between it and the spindle. To make matters worse, it's directly under the wide belt!

Scott Logan carries all the consumable parts. I don't know if some are newly made or all NOS items. Some carry a pretty hefty charge and others are fairly reasonable. Regardless, it's nice to have this level of support. POwermatics were painted a rather ghastly metallic green. Mine's PO had mercifully repainted it a less breathtaking gold, but it still has the emblemactic racing stripe .

There is a Logan Lathe Yahoo group, also.

Rick

[This message has been edited by Buckshot (edited 07-24-2005).]
      Son of the silver stream ..... Bullet caster.

Comment

Working...
      X