Lost Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Machine

Have any of you guys ever bought a machine from a dealer and then have him say he can't find it?

hope you did not pay for it yet.
    now i did work work for a place that made m109a1 s.p. 105mm guns. and they lost one for 2 weeks.

Comment

No,I haven't paid for it yet but the preliminaries had gotten to the cashiers check point.It just seems it would be awfully difficult to loose a machine as big or bigger than a refrigerator.

Comment

If something was as big as a 747, somebody out there would probably loose it.

A 105 missing for 2 weeks, were all of the Gov's folks looking for it?

Jerry

Comment

Everything is relative. It's not the absolute size of the lost object, but the size of all the surrounding crap.

Imagine trying to find a lost haystack in a barn full of needles.

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 07-22-2005).]
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Sure enough, that "lost" machine presents a bit of a credibility problem, but I'd be inclined give the guy the benefit of the doubt, mostly because at our shop we've had the similar problems a number of times over the years.

Rarely, but sometimes two sales people sell the same item simultaneously, or one sells it and doesn't get the paperwork processed correctly, and then the other sells it again, only to be forced to reverse the deal.

Stuff happens. . .
            Cheers,

Frank Ford
            HomeShopTech

Comment

Stuff does get lost. I worked in a Naval shipyard for most of my career. A square mile of shipyard contang big shops and drydocks, fronted with half mile long piers.

In the mid '50's they once lost a whole deck edge elevator. Its platform was 50 feet square and had elaboratre framing under it so it looked like a leaf from a drawbridge. It was designed to raise the Navy's heaviest airplanes from the hanger deck thiry-five feet to the flight deck in mere seconds. It was an immense piece of structure and forty men worked in it for a month or so sandblasting and painting, overhauing its rollers and cable anchorages. If it was so big, how could it be lost? Even in the vastness of a bustling shipyard it was like losing a big in a bathtub.

We lower in the food chain noticed more and more senior menagement types looking around for it as time to re-install approached. Humor was absent and officials could be seen with distracted expressions as though they were mentally drafting letters explaining to more senior but disbelieving officials: just how did they manage to lose an elevator platform nearly as big as a dairy farm.

They were a week over-schedule when a Seattle commuter dropped into the pierside material shack. "I found your missing elevator. It's on a barge on the east aside of Pier 6." Looking west the complicated structure of the elevator platform merged perfectly with the immense tower of the 250 ton hammerhead crane and the hammerhead crane obscured it to those looking east. If was very well camouflaged unless you were a quarter mile out on the water on the ferry which docked just east of the shipyard you could look down the length of the pier and you see the platform edge on plain as day.

It bacame lost because they put it on a barge to paint it and a Navy tug later moved it to stick it somewhere out of the way of shop movements. Peter didn't tell Paul and so it went until the Case of the Missing Elevator Platform became legend.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 07-22-2005).]

Comment

When I was in the Army, a bolt for an M-60 came up missing. Big time investigation happened.

When we didn't have enough silverware, or trays, no biggy until the next officer signed for the stuff.

I loose things all the time in the shop, just age and a head injury a few years ago.
                Short term memory is shot, but I learned to put everything back where it belongs and then I can find it again.

Jerry

Comment

rd51,

The dealer probably got a better offer than yours.

Better to "lose" the machine than break a deal.

kap

Comment

every one was looking for it. they finaly found it parked in another in the rebuild line.i missed typed it was a 155 mm.

Comment

Are stainless supplier sent us a piece of 303 that was 20" dia and 14" long and it managed to get lost on the way, they had to order us another piece because they never could track it down.

Comment

When I was married to my practice wife and we were buying our first new car, teh dealer seems to have lost it. Or so tehy said. This was after we arranged financing and everything and were really chomping at the bit to take delivery.

First it was lost, then it seemed to have been stolen. Then they offered us a slightly different model (demo) with only a couple hundred miles on it, and we took it even though it wasn't exactly what we wanted.

Ah, the days of being 20 something and stupid. These days, I'd have had the sales managers balls in a vice for trying to play that off on me.

Live and learn.

------------------
                        Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.
                        Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.

Comment

I think someone DID loose a 747 Jerry. Wasn't it last seen in/over Africa? The last I heard was it's still unaccounted for and that has a lot of countries worring about another 9-11.

Comment

i remember that story. it was a 727 though:

African and US Authorities Search for Missing Airliner

Voice of America
                            VOA News
                            11 Jun 2003, 20:26 UTC

U.S. and African officials are searching for a Boeing 727 airliner missing since it took off from a southern African airport more than two weeks ago.

In Washington Wednesday, U.S. officials said the disappearance of the jet was probably criminal in nature, but they could not rule out a terrorist connection.

Officials do not know where the jet went after it took off from the airport at Angola's capital, Luanda. U.S. officials say the airliner was last heard requesting clearance to land in the Seychelles, off the east African coast, but it never arrived.

Angolan officials say the plane had been parked at the airfield for more than a year for non-payment of millions of dollars in airport fees. The jet had been flown to Angola by a firm called Air Angola, which reportedly belongs to a group of current and former military officials.

Some U.S. officials suspect the plane was illegally flown off to avoid repossession, while others say it may have been crashed for insurance purposes. However, with recent intelligence uncovering an al-Qaida plot to crash an explosives-laden small airplane into the U.S. consulate in Pakistan, officials say they have to remain open to the possibility that terrorists may be involved in the plane's disappearance.

andy b.
                            The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Well as of Friday they found the machine.Seems they have so many they just couldn't keep up with them all and this one was buried in the fray.Now the negociations begin.

Comment

Working...
                              X