Cost of Replacement Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of Replacement Parts

I'm curious as to why new and used replacement parts are so expensive for the older equipment that so many of us deal with.Example: $1600.00 to $1650.00 for a used cross feed screw for a Hendey lathe.I dont remember the exact size of the screw but it's right around 24" in length by,I think, 3/4"X 6TPI,LH.Even a used nut was $700.00.What gives with this sort of pricing.Are these used machinery dealers trying to keep the average retired machinist locked out of the picture?Admittedly I never had to foot the cost for any parts for a machine before I retired,because I worked for other folks using their equipment,but I know these people couldn't have stayed in business long if they had had a major, machine breakdown.I'm sure other folks here have had a similar experience.Does anyone here know why these new and used parts are so high?

Depends how rare they are.

Also for NEW parts, either they have had to carry them in ninventory so long, or they make them to order.

Carried in inventory, costs of tax every year is an adder, space to store, just keeping track, etc, etc, it all adds up. Most places were instructed by the accountants to toss all that old stuff decades ago, so rarity comes into it.

Made to order, well, you can obviously see that cost. Then there is the rarity adder, and the "just because" adder (Cincinnatti). Before you know it, the cross-feed leadscrew is $2700.

Why do you think so many machines hit the scrap hopper?

Even if you spend $12,000 on new parts, the bed is still worn, etc. Ain't nothin free, and it just isn't worth fixing them.

So there goes another source of usable used parts with every crash at the breaker's yard.

There is no incentive whatsoever to keep them just so *YOU* can get a replacement part *CHEAP*.

If "real money" can be had for the part, then maybe......

I know what you mean.... until I found a good source, the other two dividing plates for my L-W + a tailstock were going to cost me considerably more than the head did (from most folks, i.e. Sobel, Plaza, etc).

Richard Triemstra did good for me though.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 07-24-2005).]
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Supply & demand, not many available but a demand. If you worked for someone who wanted you to make something or go out & find a part, he'd pay you your hourly wage for however long it took you then add his profit margin plus storage fees. Just like an auto junk yard - there are alot more fees involved then just storing damaged cars. Very rarely you'll see a car in a junk yard without front end damage - because more cars hit things with front end which makes them rare (supply). Doesn't sound like too difficult to make one, have you thought about it? Good luck.

Comment

I can relate. I don’t have a Hendey, but when I bought my lathe it needed a cross slide screw. I looked at price for the screw and nut and decided making a cross slide screw would be a nice project. I was right. I have used the screw and nut for the last 15 years, and I am very happy with the way it turned out and, I saved a bundle of money.

JD

Comment

Okay,I was just using my Hendey as an example.It did indeed have to have the cross feed screw replaced.I replaced it with a new screw and nut which I made myself.Like was said,nice little project.The cost:about a hundred in material and if you count labor it will never get any where close to what these folks wanted for a used one.

Comment

The prices are like that so we people who like to make things with our machine tools can feel justified in owning them!

Comment

Working...
            X