tool post question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tool post question

quick question (i hope) for all you virtusos out there. i have a phase II wedge type quick change post that is rated "up to 12" swing" left over from my two previous lathes. i now have a 13" sheldon wm-56-p lathe. is it really critical that i get a new tool post to make up for that 1", or is this only an issue if i am actually turning a piece that is a full 13" in diameter? any help would be appreciated.

For my 13 x 40, I got the one that goes to 15" swing. I find that with a 1/2" or 3/8" square cutter, I am adjusting the holder near the bottom of the post.

I think you may find that you can easily make up the difference with different size square cutters or bits/bars. I'd try that before I'd run out and buy a new one.

The problem relates to the center height of your spindle relative to the toolpost, not the diameter of the piece you are turning.

[This message has been edited by Lynn Standish (edited 07-25-2005).]
    Lynn S.

Comment

If it dont work I would like it

no realy, it should work, even if you have to make a new bolt/t-nut and washer for the compound topslide.

Comment

I think the only things you need to worry about are:

1. Can you get the toolbit at center height.

2. Is the toolpost rigid enough for what you're doing. Presumably larger lathe implies heavier cuts, which implies a heavier toolpost, but if you're not going to do cuts that overload your present toolpost, it's not an issue.

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 07-25-2005).]
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Given the number of folks who recommend these quick change toolposts to
          inquirers, it would be really nice if someone posted a chart showing the
          relevant dimensions and their relations. Something like an xXA (x=A,B,C,
          etc.) can be used with lathes that have a spindle to compound (or whatever)
          measurement of z1 to z2 inches with toolbits of size .... (Is it obvious yet
          that I don't use these toolholders?)

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
          http://www.geocities.com/mklotz.geo
          Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
          http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

marv- Page 31 of the Aloris catalog, which can be found here

-Justin

Comment

You can always put a space under the too post to raise it up.

Comment

"2. Is the toolpost rigid enough for what you're doing. Presumably larger lathe implies heavier cuts, which implies a heavier toolpost, but if you're not going to do cuts that overload your present toolpost, it's not an issue."

Lest we forget the size of tool we can put into the holder should be larger for a larger lathe for strength.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by graymatter:
                  You can always put a space under the too post to raise it up.</font>
                  I would go along with this. I think the biggest issue will be getting the tool on centre hight, or it may not be. If it is putting a spacer under it will probably sort it.

You know how you existing one worked on the previous lathe, if you were happy with it and your going to do the same type of work and your already tooled up for that one then stick with it. IMHO

John.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mklotz:
                    Given the number of folks who recommend these quick change toolposts to
                    inquirers, it would be really nice if someone posted a chart showing the
                    relevant dimensions and their relations.
                    </font>
                    Here's another chart
                    McMaster Carr chart

[This message has been edited by Nutter (edited 07-25-2005).]

Comment

well thanks everybody! i think the spacer is the way to go. i have to machine a new t-slot mount anyway, so ill just make sure it is tall enough. the toolholders that come with this post go up to 1/2 inch which is plenty for the sort of work i do anyway. for those wondering if these posts are a good buy, id say definately. quick tool changes without loosing position is very convienient.

Comment

If anybody has an Aloris CXA that is too big for their lathe, I have a Aloris BXA in new condition loaded with tooling I would trade. Even has Aloris carbide insert holders. It is too small for my LeBlond.
                        Michael

Comment

Working...
                        X