Chuck faceplate rack / holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck faceplate rack / holder

I want to make a rack or holder for my chucks and faceplae in one row to stand beside my lathe (something like a kitchen pot rack)any ideas etc would be welcome I have seen pics of this somewhere but for the love of me I can't remember where.Anyway if any of you guys have abetter idea or have built similar then please post afew pics.Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Thats a good idea. How about two verticals and a horizontal across the top with hooks hanging down on chains so you could hang them all behind the lathe like pots and pans.

Comment

I am working on one now, 1/2 done and off to another project and of course the money jobs come first.

Comment

There is a tool tree for lathe accessories in the April/May 2004 issue of MW. Probably not what you are looking for but might be the general idea.

Comment

here is a link to a picture of what we have at work.
          http://www.bbssystem.com/viewtopic.php?t=197

Comment

All you need is two strait bars with two end plates.
            two other strait bars to stop twisting at the bottom.
            keep the bars about six inches apart and maybe 2 foot long and it will hold all your chucks
            all the best...mark

Comment

Alistair:
              here is a picture of the rack I built for my Standard Modern 1340 lathe.
              The lathe has fabricated pedestals so it was easy to attach the slides.
              It's just an angle iron frame with a piece of 1/2 ply on the top.
              In the bottom r/h corner you can see the holes drilled for the pins on the D1-4 chucks.
              I figured I could use the space under the lathe and not miss it much.

Pete

Comment

I have limited room in the shop and am in need of a compact way to store lathe accessories. I have a mental concept of a post like holder with four sides and that rotates on a pipe or other central shaft. Since my biggest chuck is 6" I kinda envision that size, +/-, for the faces. Perhaps perf board on one or two sides for smaller items.

I already have drawers and some perfboard behing the machine. So it would stand at the tailstock end, perhaps attached to the table leg.

Just an idea, I haven't built it yet.

Paul; A.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I have a set of home made shelves that sit right next to my 9" SB lathe for lathe tooling. The lowest shelf sits about 36-40" off of the floor. I have a piece of 2X4 on a 45* angle, across the face of that shelf. On the piece of 2X4, I secured some 1" pipe flanges, then screwed in some nipples to create a "rack" for the chucks. I have some rubber sheet over the flanges to protect the chucks from direct contact with the pipe flanges. Since the biggest chucks are only 6" and not that heavy, the height and angle work for me. If I was home and had a digital, I would try to add a picture.
                  Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

They used somethinglike this on the big J
                    http://ussnewjersey.com/rect_37-1.htm
                    check out the photos it looks like they mounted chucks and face plates to the wall or support colunm nearest the machine that uses them. They would ave also stayed put in high seas.
                    Jim V
                    Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

They used somethinglike this on the big J
                      http://ussnewjersey.com/rect_37-1.htm
                      check out the photos it looks like they mounted chucks and face plates to the wall or support colunm nearest the machine that uses them. They would ave also stayed put in high seas.
                      Jim V
                      Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

Working...
                      X