Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• madman
    replied
    Large roll of aluminiumn foil for all those do it yourselfers, Oh yeah safety boots and eyeglasses. Wrap the foil extra thick around head and delicate areas.

Leave a comment:

• spope14
    replied
    ROFLMAO

Proper clothing - short sleeved shirt tucked in, long pants - can be dickies, or jeans - but NOT those hang below your butt things, something comfortable, and not tight - no stringy thingers hanging about - keep lose things to a very minimum. I try to avoid cuffs, caught my pants on fire welding once, the students thought this was the funniest thing they ever saw!!!!!!!!! I found NO HUMOR in the matter until years later. Nothing like seing your shop teacher pouring water on his new "dockers".

NO GLOVES - that suit of armor needs the gloves removed. Proper safety glasses. I like the "wrap" type - my test is that if you can put a finger between the glasses and your face with ease, too much room for chips coming in. hats, yes, if you wish. Sometimes around certain people, the space suit helmet looks like it might be the safest bet, but alas, work around safe people. I wear a hat, but I have a receding hairline, and the chip burns that might happen (and have) on that ever widening patch of forehead are worth laughs for others but alas I SEE NO HUMOR IN MY AGONY of hair loss or that big red mark right in my little patch of thinning hair at the crown of the forehead.....

Shoes - depends on what you are doing. Steel toes are always an arguement. Probably a good idea in case you drop a vise or something on your toes....I however, wear some sturdy leather shoes with a good sole...oh, and socks.....yeah, even in summer, I have to put on socks when I work in the shop......no other time though...... Rather cath a chip in my socks that boring into my hide an sole of my foot.

No rings, watches, or jewelery. Hangie things like necklaces, watches, or those wrist items are good catch points for handles, and other items laying about. To illustrate, a student tried to get one over on me, put on his girlfriends "friendship bracelet thingie (little twine thing, new girlfrind, he was 16 and twitterpated). Caught it on a tool on the work bench, and in a flash, while reaching to put oil on a cutter, the little allen wrench (3/16 long arm) dragged into the cutter. Small enough not to notice, big enough to wreck a part and cutter all in less than a hearbeat. Not to mention is trammed out the mill by .235 (yeah, I wrote it down) Yeah, a war story for about four years of students.

Rings tend to get crushed more often than caught by rotating items. That, or an item slips in your hand - like a vise or a chuck,and catches on a ing, and dislocates a finger at the joint...seen that twice now, and a ring crush once.

Just suggestions. Shop aprons are great, sleeveless ones, leather ones, denim, heck, ven a little flowery job...but no frillies. Some shop aprons have a "Mic pocket" that you put a 0-1 in, an the pocket swings to keep the mic in. Safety issues? worked with one like that for years...might be, but saved many a mic.

[This message has been edited by spope14 (edited 07-27-2005).]

Leave a comment:

• andy_b
    replied
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BWS:
    Clothing makes the man......in time honored fashion make sure you present yourself in public exactly like you are at work.Why change clothes?You're gonna be right back at it tomorrow?Nuthin better than goin down to Walmart with grease dripping from elbows to pickup a case of beer and some chicken.....oh yeah,gotta get some shop towels and Tide(for the floor).Don't put on airs.....it just ain't right.
    </font>
    that sounds like me (well, they don't sell beer at the w-marts in PA). i figure no one will bother me because i look like a crazy homeless man.

andy b.

Leave a comment:

• BWS
    replied
    Clothing makes the man......in time honored fashion make sure you present yourself in public exactly like you are at work.Why change clothes?You're gonna be right back at it tomorrow?Nuthin better than goin down to Walmart with grease dripping from elbows to pickup a case of beer and some chicken.....oh yeah,gotta get some shop towels and Tide(for the floor).Don't put on airs.....it just ain't right.

Use shields,keeping chips off off you is first line of defense and safety.

Leave a comment:

• fixxit
    replied
    Durable air conditioned shop clothing with built in eye protection.

------------------
    457863656C73696F72202100

Leave a comment:

• ibewgypsie
    replied
    I caught one pair of tennis shoes on fire, the flames come up to my knees..

I keep using the cutting torch while wearing sandals. Sparks feel exceptionally warm between the toes.

I find wearing bib overalls cause the chips that don't stick in my beard to slide down the bib and rest on my belly.

I noticed my full length shop aprons need a good washing. I suggest everyone get some. They need to tie on the side thou. I had one removed by the lathe and it liked to have beat me to death before I could shut it off.

If you are going to be dumb, be tough. Yeah, I have had a few stitches.

David

Leave a comment:

• Michael Az
    replied
    Well, I do live in Az but every shirt I own is a cowboy shirt with long sleeves. They have an advantage in the shop because the shirt pockets always have flaps on them, no chips go in there. I roll up the sleeves till they are out of the way.
    Michael

Leave a comment:

• rockrat
    replied
    A link to a thread in this fine group on shop clothing. Watch out, Evan is sporting a studly skin suit while he runs a lathe.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Fo...ML/010898.html

I like the coveralls myself.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Two words-uniform rental.

If your working in a shop with three or four other guys(makes it worth while for the rental co.)it's the best way to go.Here it is $8.00 a week and all you do is put on clean ones and pile up the dirtys.

Other than that coveralls.

Leave a comment:

• Bullpit
    replied

That has to much beerbelly room guys.

------------------
    All people need are rules

Leave a comment:

• moldmonkey
    replied
    No, the ones that land on your tongue because you are standing there with your mouth hanging open like a simpleton are the worst.

Leave a comment:

• mochinist
    replied
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by J Tiers:
    In my shop, you'd be uber hot.... and that suit would fill up with sweat.....

There is a lot to be said for chip shields........
    </font>
    Yeah I hear that , I actually just wear dickies shorts and a collared shirt tucked in at work. I have tried wearing a apron but they just annoy the hell out of me. Chip shields are your friend, and also take your cuts in directions that shoot the chips away from you. An occasional chip in the shirt or shoe is just part of the trade you have to deal with. The ones that hit your neck and roll down your belly are the worst.

Leave a comment:

• Carl
    replied
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Not alot of pockets, but you will look Uber cool.</font>

Note this is the model with the built-in beer gut clearance.

[This message has been edited by Carl (edited 07-26-2005).]

Leave a comment:

• Dusty
    replied
    This might be what you are refering to.
    http://www.labsafety.com/store/produ...cat_prefix=5WA

The usual disclaimers apply.

I usually wear a leather apron, for general work. Aprons are cooler than jackets/coveralls in the summer, and keep oil and chips off a majority of clothing. I've been using the same apron for ~5 years it it's still holding up well. If you use an apron when welding make sure to also wear a jacket or sleeves as it is irritating to burn you arm pits.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    In my shop, you'd be uber hot.... and that suit would fill up with sweat.....

There is a lot to be said for chip shields........

Leave a comment:

Working...
X