How to get started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get started

Okay I'm wondering how to get seriously started in machining.

------------------
    All people need are rules

What do you want to make? talk to like minded people... What do you want to do? Budget? Size-technology - etc? People need more details: Otherwise? Want to swim the English Channel? - Jump In!

--jr
    dvideo

Comment

I'm just looking for cheap progect, and the suppyl's needed.

------------------

Comment

1st. Get a machine... and some tooling... cutters.
        2nd. Grab handles and make scrap from good pieces of stock.
        Or 3rd. enroll in a Vo-Tech school and learn about it.
        Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

What is that Carl?

------------------

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bullpit:
              What is that Carl?

</font>
              It's a cheap Chinese knock-off of a Bob Marley action figure

Comment

THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

Freaky!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Bullpit (edited 07-26-2005).]

Comment

The traditional way to start in machining is with a file. Your second tool would be another file. With files you make some good gauge blocks. When you've demonstrated that you've mastered the file, you graduate to a hammer. Repeat.

The basic skill in "machining" is in working metal to your requirements. It doesn't necessarily involve machine tools.

There are other ways to do it, aside from files. Eliphalet Remington started with a forge, and figured out how to make rifle barrels with that, and not much else.

But that was then, this is now. Rather than starting with gauge blocks, most nowadays types would start right off with something more interesting. Some people go for steam engine kits. That way, one gets a handle on the processes needed to finish that particular kit, and has an excuse to buy the requisite machine tools. When done, move on to a fancier kit. Repeat. I don't do steam engines myself, so can't get more specific. Making guns from 0% receivers or frames (that is, raw castings or forgings which need the machined surfaces finished) is becoming popular. Another route is to learn about tools while supporting another hobby or activity. Keeping the old farm tractor running, or making go-cart parts, or gun modifications, etc.

Comment

Starting from Zero, I'd say the first thing you need are some books, so you can get oriented.

A good one for that is L.S.Sparey's "The Amateur's Lathe." It's now about 60 years old and British so it certianly doesn't reflect "modern American (or even modern British) practice." But it's still really good.
                      ----------
                      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Keep going but thanks.

------------------

Comment

You can read all you can, but beware, dont get paralysis from over analysis, the only cure for that is to say F*** it and just start machining some metal, happened to me.
                          Get a proper lathe then in a few months a proper mill, only problem is that you will have no idea what a proper machine is for your needs until you get some expirience. Have any machinist friends nearby? ANd remember...

Comment

Hello Sauer38h,
                            Funny that anyone would mention the age old traditional way apprentices learned this business. I used files and sometimes was allowed a hammer for years. I made some pretty intricate stuff too. After 45 years I still think my milling machine is a poor second to my drawer full of files. However I got to admit the mill is a great labor saver particularly for the geriatric crowd.

Comment

Get a pretty big roll around tool bx.Start filling it with wrenches,hammers,files,tons of measuring stuff.Figure on spending around 3k+............you'll have to get all this stuff at some point anyoleways,might as well get past it up front.Then,if you're driving a newish car.......sell it and buy a lathe.Unless you're in a Merc or BMW,in which case you can get a lathe AND a mill.Buy a ratty old PU truck.Next,you need a BB cap....some steeltoed boots.....crummy bluejeans.....and a really cool tee shirt,but make it dark in color cause its gonna be filthy by days end(workin on POS truck and equip. is nasty).If married,tell your wife you'll see her in about 5 years or so.......Best of luck,BW

Oh yeah,good one Carl!

Comment

Working...
                              X