R8 vs Morse Taper 3 collets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R8 vs Morse Taper 3 collets

Just how hard is it to find MT3 collets? Are there any really big disadvantages to having a machine with MT3 as opposed to an R8 spindle taper?

Gotta love MT3, I got a kwik switch for the mill and my leblond is MT3.
    My old drill press (late 1800s?) is Mt3 too.
    Are ya the one that keeps beating me out on the namebrand drills on ebay? Okay?

David

Comment

It's not hard to find them,they are just more expensive.

R-8 is much more common and therefore you have more versatility at less cost.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

i think the r8 angle is just in between that of a self releasing and self holding whereas m3 is obviously a self holding taper. i wonder if it takes a lot pounding on the drawbar to release the m3 in the mill? never had an m3 in the mill, but it takes good wack to dislodge a centre in the lathe (with brass tipped bar).

still, wouldn't mind a set, my index head is m3. stay away from the cheapo's though, tried that, several thou runout.
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mcgyver:
          i think the r8 angle is just in between that of a self releasing and self holding whereas m3 is obviously a self holding taper. i wonder if it takes a lot pounding on the drawbar to release the m3 in the mill? </font>
          Yes.... my Lewis has an MT3, and it takes some hittin to get it loose.

I made a "jackscrew" setup, but even then, I end up getting some tension on the jackscrew, then giving it a good tunk....

CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Thanks for the input...I was looking at buying a mill, found one that I was happy with, then realized it had an MT3 taper where as all the larger industrial models were R8. Glad to know that MT3 is super hard to find...although having to pound out collets every time might get irritating. Thanks again

Comment

BTW, It may need some "tunkin" to get it out, but they hold.

I don't want to know what you have to do to spin a seated MT3 taper..... I've stalled things and busted cutters but never spun the MT3.
              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

If the mill you found is otherwise satisfactory, I wouldn't worry about the M3 taper. MSC, Travers, and others sell M3 collets and M3 tooling, no problem. The thing you might not find is a M3 shank for a Jacobs chuck that has a drawbar...but you don't actually need one. Get a straight shank Jacobs chuck arbor, and hold it in a collet. You DO want an M3 arbor with drawbar for a boring head, if you get a boring head, but those are available.

----------
                Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I use 3MT collets because they fit two lathes and the milling machine. The drill press is 3 MT too. I've never had any problems with them, but be aware tha drawbar threads vary; my imperial collets are 1/2 x 12 (Whitworth), and the metric ones are 3/8 x 16. I've also seen drawbar threads of 1/2 x 13 and 3/8 x a non- standard pitch - 18 tpi from memory - quoted in other posts, so you may need to make extra drawbars if you go for the 3 MT collets.

franco

Comment

Working...
                  X