Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Boucher:
    J Tiers: I am not sure I understood what you were describing. </font>
    A blank bit.... grind a section on the end with a side rake in the 15 to 30 deg range.
    grind the end to relieve it a little side ways and vertcally. Relieve the side a little. Knock off front corner slightly with a stone, just to avoid fine lines in the work. Don't put any real radius on it.

Cutting edge is now on the side. The end is slightly relieved so it won't drag.

That's what I mean.

Use it perpendicular to work. Force is towards chuck, not across work, aside from that due to rotation of the work.

Works best if work is shortish, or supported from rising by a follow or steady rest. But it will take a deep cut, and not spring the work as badly, nor chatter as much, in my experience.

CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

I think this is what J Tiers is talking about,

The cutting force is towards the headstock. This is one of my favorite tools for mild steel or brass. Cuts real clean and no chatter if not to much depth is attempted. It can also get right into a corner and it will also face.

I don't know what the angle is maybe 5 or 10 degrees, but the idea is to get it to cut on that left edge of the tip.

------------------
      Gene
      Gene

Comment

Yes. I grind the top (part we look at in the pic above) to a 15 to 30 deg angle sloping down from edge to non-cutting side... side rake.

The side rake lowers the force required into the work.

Stoning the "corner" of the edge at end of bit slightly, will reduce ridges on work.
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Working...
        X