Favorite Metalworking Magazines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Metalworking Magazines

I was just wondering what your favorite metalworking magazines are and why. I am thinking about subscribing to a couple of them, but would like input from others before doing so.

Thank you for your help!

ToolMaker

Started with Home Shop Machinist many years ago, but got tired of the run-on articles. Sometimes 8-10 issues required to finish a project was too frustrating. Machinist's Workshop is too simple sometimes, and lacks details to keep the tougher projects in the req'd space. Wish I could get both, wish there was something in between too. Just one, I like the Machinist's Workshop.

Comment

I like both hsm and machinists workshop. Lotsa good stuff in both.

Comment

I read trade journals, scientific journals, HSM,HW, Live Steam (sneaky buggers hooked me on a gorgeous Corliss - it was shiney!), Engineering in Miniature (super British Mag - sporadic here), Model Engineer & Model Engineer Workshop (Beautiful color plates and incredible models built in the UK), Modeltec (similar to live steam but leans slightly more towards stationary engines than trains - sporadic in output due to finacial woes), Timber Times, Fine Woodworking, Fine Home Building.

Wanted to get Strictly I.C., but it has gone into the history books it seems - if it has not, I sure would appreciate correction. I would like to know if the back issues are even available. I seen one issue a gent was reading on a plane, and never got around to subscribing - my loss.

Comment

Thrud,
          Strictly I.C. stopped earlier this year, but back issues are available.

http://www.strictlyic.com/

Comment

Peter S:
            It was my understanding that they went under - so I guess that is incorrect. Thanks - I will have to contact them.

Comment

Now that's what I call service! They've (Strictly I.C) stopped publishing but you can buy every issue ever printed. Does anyone know if the reprints are 'as original' or are they fuzzy photocopier quality??

I heard about this magazine a few years back but could never find it (or was too lazy to look for it more like!). Do you think they'd do the whole shooting match for a knock down price, nigh on $600 USD for all 84 copies is going to strain the Financial Directors purse strings. Ah well! baked beans on toast for the next 2 years.

I enjoy Model Engineer (but find too much emphasis on railway engines and clocks ~ but then accept that this is the mainstay of the hobby), Model Engineers Workshop (which would be even better if the articles were concluded sooner by giving more space to each article ~ with less articles as the spin off!!), and recently I've subbed to MW (good quality printing, needs more colour photo's, and has the occasional if somewhat whacky article about welding up an 'English' wheeling machine) with the occasional HSM being smuggled in to the UK by visiting US colleagues. Just wish they all came out more often!

RR

[This message has been edited by Ragarsed Raglan (edited 10-04-2002).]

Comment

RR - Ive gotten back issues of Strictly IC, and I think that is what they are, back issues, definitely not fuzzy reprints, color covers and all. Also, if there is a particular project you are looking for, they list the issues you need to get all the plans. Mail service was excellent, at least here in the US.

Comment

RR

I contacted the publishers of Strickly IC - the Back Issues will be available until the website disappears....

Comment

RR,
                    re. Strictly IC magazine, I also have a few back issues, they seem to be original magazines, ie colour covers, but generally the photo quality is bad. The text and drawings are fine, and there are lots of good articles. I would like to own the whole lot, but think they are priced a bit too steep for what you get.

Comment

A long time ago, when I was a lot younger and a little
                      dumber, I had a Porsche 356C. At the dealer's for
                      service I saw a copy of "Machine Design" in the waiting
                      room. I sent in the subscription card and enjoyed it for
                      years. Somehow lost track of it. Is it still out there?

------------------

Comment

Yep That and "Design News" are still around, I get both at work (free sub).

If you have a business within their demographic, you can get the free sub.

Comment

Guys,

Thanks for all the replies on the quality of Strictly I.C reprints.

Thrud, I suppose the existence of the website is pretty crucial to the reprints side of the business, seeing as they no longer have any other outlet to those looking for their magazine. Looks like Santa know's what to get me!

RR

Comment

Working...
                          X