No announcement yet.

I just love it when my machines saves $$$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, BTW, I am as cheap as the day is long, so I fix the stuff too.

If I fixed anything safety-related, I would want to have it look just like new, though, no traces.

My own insurance would probably leave me twisting in the wind if something I fixed went wrong even if it was NOT the cause of the accident, occurrence, etc.

Frying is too good for those personal injury lawyers. I want them treated like Tantalus....Hang them up just close enough to escape and saving their worthless hide that they will try, just far enough away to make sure they don't quite make it before they finally croak.

Dang, I'm just stone cold mean.

Comment

Ah yes, the Hang Man's dance, and then put them in a cage out at the harbor entrance so the gulls can enjoy a tasty meal.

------------------
      Neil Peters
      Neil Peters

When on the hunt, a broken part is better than no part at all.

Comment

One thing to add about the turbine blades. There is a HUGE after market for airplane parts. Legal and illegal. FAA (and others) sometimes collect and destroy part to "assure" that parts are not recylced back into inventory. Un/fortunately most of the illegal parts go overseas where they extend the life of these illegal parts to cut corners. greed.

Comment

I did look long and hard at the ABS controller before I dove in and did anything. Safety should not be an issue as it was a dissasemble-reassemble type operation. All this done with surgical cleanliness. It was acually less complicated than rebuilding a master cylinder. And the tube I replaced was far stronger being made of steel than the cracked aluminum was! Great point on Safety Oso! Don't try to repair a tie rod end or anything similar!

Comment

I don't know how people live without a machine shop in the basement! Seems as though I'm always fixing something.
            ----------
            Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
            Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
            Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
            There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
            Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
            Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

SWG:

Me too. Except replace "fixing" with "breaking."

Comment

I couldn't get along without my stuff either. Even if the parts arn't bad price wise nobody ever seem to have what you need in stock. I have to make alot of simple parts for this reason.

Rick

Comment

In a society where no one fixes anything, the Manufacturer treats us like mushrooms are grown.

Keep digging into why it failed even if you can't repair. Sooner or later we are gonna need the skills required to question, improvise and cobble up. Libality problems be dammned.
                  Steve

Comment

Just a thought: I'm not defending the car companies, but the word greed is bandied about an awful lot lately.
                    I repair things for a living and I charge $55.00 per hour to do it. The simple reality,that the average person, who works 9 to 5, in one place, doesn't realize, is that I don't always get 8 hours a day at that rate. It's more like 6. There's a whole litany of things that people don't realize, but the funniest thing of all is that people think the money you charge is all profit! Sure. I just filled the tank on my van for $37.00 and I do that twice a week.
                    In regards to the price of parts: The $500.00 part that was repaired for a few dollars and "four hours of sheer joy in the garage". If it took you four hours to repair, how long do you think it takes to make it from nothing? Is it then reasonable to assume that LABOR is a large part of the cost, since the people who make it want to get paid? I realize that assembly lines and the like are economies of scale, but consider this: A Ford plant is closing down in Linden, NJ, not far from where I live. An article in the paper said that many of the jobs were worth $50.00 an hour in combined benefits and salary.On an assembly line.
                    What ought to amaze people is how all of these parts that cost so much wind up being sold as a car for $10,000.00
                    In my business, as in others like it, there are certain things that are not worth doing. It is pointless for me to rekey a mailbox lock for $10.00 when a new one is $12.00. Many parts are simply not sold. I can get parts easily for a 400.00 combination lock, but rarely for a $40.00 deadbolt. It may be pointless for the car companies to sell individual parts that make up a unit, and in fact it may have been designed that way. Thanks for listening.

PS I would have done it for my friend for a steak dinner, too. I just love to fix things.

Comment

Perfectly correct. When you add the fact that many items are made inexpensive by assembly methods such as staking, press-fits, adhesives, etc, you can see that they can't be effectively repaired in those areas.
                      There will be sub-assemblies that are not repairable.

Now, in defense of the original poster:
                      Of course you can't count the 4 hours as such, since an experienced rebuild person would probably have:

1) known where to look for the problem, or had a diagnostic procedure
                      2) known how to disassemble the unit (if that is possible)
                      3) Had the correct part available instad of having to fabricate it
                      4) Probably been able to test it on a test jig to verify proper operation
                      5) As a result, taken maybe 40 minutes to fix it right, if that.

When 1 hour labor is concerned, and the unit is verified for operation, that's a whole different story.

[This message has been edited by Oso (edited 09-27-2002).]

Comment

Gents: you are sellingyour selves short. Locksmith is right. We, as a group, differ. Some have knowledge, some want it. But most of the world feels knowledge is a useless burden, that if a "teacher" did not tell them it was needed info, then they don't need it.

One of the old greeks supposedly was approached by a wealthy young man, who demanded he be given knowledge. THe old codger grabbed the kids neck, soused his head under water and when the guy got loose and exclaimed I had no air, i could not breath, you trying to kill me? the oldcodger said "when you want knowledge, like you wanted air, you will get it. End of todays lesson". Seems to me as though this group enjoys knowing and sharing.

Within the hour I returned from getting a f-150 running, loose wire to solenoid on starter. I advised clen the terminal, crimp the connector and see what happens. Friend says " Shop replaced the starter just 6 months ago, second starter on a new truck, some body ain't doing me right" (paraphrased of course cause he traced the shop, the truck, FOMOCO ancestry back to the apes and found not a decent person in the line). I say Tom, slide under here (we were in shopping mall parking lot,where truck had remained over nite) and I'll show you where the problem is, and its a common thing. Freind says, naw I don't no nutt'n about machinery. He is representivative ofthe real world- you guys are the abberation!!!.

Real cost of being able to fix things (as The Trapper says he does) is the years of past investigation, knowledge, persistance not the knowledge demonstrated in the few minutes needed to weld, file, tighten etc. Rememberthe old joke about the mech how charged 2.00 for knowing where to hit the carburator, and 10 cents for hitting it (from the prices you know its an old old joke)? That past knowledge is what we are losing and not replacing. And they say cure the education system! but you can't get nine gals preg and have a baby in one month.
                        Peace all steve

Comment

When I heard the words greed I thought you were all referring to a twenty four ounce steak which I was releaved to discover was not the case as everyone knows such a small steak is a snack.
                          To be serious nothing repeat nothing can feel more rewarding than doing something like this I have had that feeling many times and it sure is good well done Albert Alistair
                          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Albert, Oso, All

And sometimes you just get pissed off and annoyed at how it is made and insist on doing it the hard way. And, I have even broken stuff just for an excuse to fix it. Albert, it is called being a "gearhead" - welcome to the club brother.

I would like to back Alistair up by saying that a 24 oz. steak makes a nice sandwich. However, real men all know a steak is not a steak until it weighs at least 8Lbs. This is known as the "Fred Flintstone Rule o'dinning". We have a law here - any rib under 2lbs. each is "Barney Ruble finger food.".

If any of you guys ever come to Edmonton - make sure you go to "Smokey Joe's" Oklahoma pit BBQ (Smoked yummies galore, Nuclear Chicken Wings, 2Lb. Ribs (yeah!), Hickory smoked beef, pork, turkey).

Comment

The current thread reminds me of what I have christened "The Vendetta Stage." How many of you experienced this, and maybe called it something else ?
                              Somebody drops something off to be fixed. You pick it up and start working on it, thinking it ought to be easy. But it doesn't quite work to your satisfaction, so you goose it a little more. The inevitable spring pops out and falls into the abyss and so it goes. The Vendetta stage is when it is no longer a matter of making money, you've got to fix it no matter what, simply as a matter of pride.

Comment

What you guys overlook is that you are the olympic champions of "fixers". You can run a computer and apply your lifetime of taking things apart to the problem to see what makes them work.(or not work) My mom still has stuff I took apart 40 years ago, thinking that someday I'll figure out how to put it back together! When I was 8, they built a new church near my house and I went every day to watch them weld, saw, hammer and pour cement. They finally called my Mom and told her to keep me home so they could get something done w/o some little kid pestering them.

Guys that make a living fixing things could tell you hundreds of stories about customers that tried to fix their problem themselves and screwed it up. I had a guy try to straighten his spun brass bell on his son's saxophone with a vice grip. What I could have fixed using my "paintless style" dent remover from the inside and charged $25 for, cost over $250. The bell looked like the corrugated end of dryer vent--all stretched out and had to be replaced. (soldering, stripping lacquer, buffing and relacquering.) I could give you a dozen more examples w/o straining. For every guy who can fix his own problem, there are 50 idiots that screw up the repair.

Most people can't even set the clock on their VCR! How are they going to find a loose connection on a car computer? It is no wonder that the pro's don't recommend home repairs.

Replacing the whole part assures that it will work the first time. I can't be screwing around doing something 3 or 4 times trying fix or save a part and only charge for taking it out and replacing it once. Thanks--Mike.

Comment

Working...
                                X