No announcement yet.

I just love it when my machines saves $$$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike makes some good points, but I LOVE the locksmith's observation !!!!!!

Been there many times- sometimes i think I made a living doing things by the Vendetta way. Others made the real money but I got the job done on time, on cost, despite the unreasonable monies and time allowed, So others made the money at expense of my skin and old clothes (and that of the others with me). Reminds me of bar room fights where the declared winner is the guy still standing and swinging but the real winner is the little guy in the corner, unmarked, never took a lick, hair still parted.

Gotta remember the "vendetta" thing. It really hurts to observe something, think about it, wonder if any one else has noticed the phenomena- then describe it and learn that its old hat . That the Greeks saw it and had a word for it!!!.

I have always wanted to see Lake Louise (Canada). Never been there, see the right picure and want to be there very much. Developedthe desire as a young man. Few years ago I was swapping ideas and lies with a philospher (professor from local university). He says the germans have a word for it- the meaning is "home sick for places you have never been"- Course prof said he knew the word, never understod it, used it to ridicule travelers. Said he felt he now understood more nearly what the idea the germans were expressing was.

thanks for the Vendetta concept. makes me smile and shake my head
    Steve

Comment

Locksmith:
      That is exactly what I was trying to spit out in my last post. Damn. You sure are a silver tongued hombre!

I have a tendency to talk to the offending part often referring to its illegitimate heritage when it becomes more and more beligerent in my attempts of its rescue...

Comment

It must run in nature or at least to the folks who use this board to have the vendetta concept. I know I sure do.
        It seem the nastier the part or repair has become the more detirmed you can become. No matter what it take it has to be fixed.
        Don't the easy ones always seem to be the complete worst?
        I am sometimes greatful to one person I work with who has a big hammer and can smash stuff readily before or after you were able to try and repair it.

Comment

Thrud - Is that what they mean by "assembly language"?

Comment

six weeks or so ago, friends electric mill drive failed- somehow a chunk of metal got between the brush holder and ground. No sweat, cleaned the gunk and slag. New brushes did not fit, little sandpaper will fix that!.

But the scr and a diode or two failed. no sschematics, too much smoke on the parts. Took it home. Every measurement required complete assemly of the two halves. Short wire leads. Very neatly added length. Now I could move the PC board safely. Made a quick holder for the damn board. No scr numbers. Radio shack no longer stocks scrs. Triacs will probably work. wish i were sure which why that diode used to go!. Made a neat drawing of the PC board, both side and hand over hand drew a schematic- about five times before all the parts fell into a logical order (I hate the cad electronics drawings cause they don't show signal flows and power flows). Damn thermal switch don't work no more. cant find one to right size and trip. Throw the thing away like frind said to do? Naw my dumb friend had washed the thing out with oily parts cleaner. But only a fool rebuilds switches- now i have classified my self properly. REbuilt switch works fine. Damned pot has 3" shaft 6MM 500 ohm. Shimmed the case apart with 1/4 nuts and fed wires out side so i can "bread board it!!!!! things looking up!!> now motor moves smooth and slow- redesigned the span and range of the control circuit. take it back and tell ex friend to never again use parts cleaner on electonics/ electrical.

Friend says new control comming in tomorrow or maybe to day. but lets install old one any way. works well. control better than new!

Hot dern it!!!!- new control dont work!!! Joy in JAcksonville. put the old one back on . All hunky dory!!! I feel good. Talk about predisposed to vendettas!!!
            Steve

Comment

What a drag! I just spent 15 minutes typing a story for you guys and the damn thing blipped out.
              Anybody with a friend named Hiram, email me.

Comment

Checked out a customer’s window A/C. Blower motor froze up. Cost to repair was almost cost of new A/C. Customer says “junk itâ€‌. Pulled motor down ( opened tab “Aâ€‌ from slot “Bâ€‌ etc.) and shaft not bad but bushing shot. Bored and re-bushed bushing . Assembled and ran fine. Told him to come pick it up no charge (couldn’t guarantee it ). He came by with a six-pack for me and picked it up. It’s hard to pass a challenge like that. I wonder if growing up in â€?30s has something to do with it? But then most of you aren’t that old yet still feel same way about it! Very interesting.

Jim
                Jim

Comment

Hey, I caught it from my father, who DID grow up in the 30s, in fact he was the family wage-earner via the quiz-kids.

But it is very current to fix stuff, in a way.....you know the mantra....reduce, REUSE, recycle.

Fixing comes under the "reuse" heading. If you can do it yourself, it is cheaper by far, other than your time.

Now, however, cheap cheap stuff is almost unrepairable, due to surface-mounted electronics, plastics that cannot be glued or bonded, heat-staking, etc, etc, etc.

Anyone else just plain hate those "stronger than steel" plastics?

They are fine when in one piece, work good, hard to break. But when they break, they stay broke (kinda like a macintosh computer).

At least metal stuff you can pound back to shape, rivet, solder, weld, or just use as-is.

Comment

Locksmith,
                    I'm sure you have had the odd stuff to work on as well but...We had some vandalism on one of our buildings. A car was driven into the doors of the building, (at least we guess it was a car)mashing the door and the mortise lock some.
                    I was able to rethread the mortise cylinder on the lathe and repair the lock sides enough for temp. use. It was primus (high security) lock, naturly I had used my spare cylinders 2 days before. I had no choice but to repair what I had.
                    I had to bore the cylinder to get the plug to turn ok also. I was sure glad fo the lathe.
                    If you can find the black hole where plug cap retaining pin springs go please let me know.
                    I hope most don't have to deal with cars and doors but it is the vendetta thing that sure gets you all the time, ya just gotta fix it.
                    Rick

Comment

Guys,
                      A few of you mentioned memorable jobs that you did, but here's a beauty:
                      Today I had to go down to the police station and remove a malfunctioning handcuff from a junkies wrist. Can you imagine cutting this thing off with the guy still attached and nodding out all over the place?
                      I got to keep the handcuffs, so I could figure out what went wrong. You can't make this stuff up.
                      This was not my most bizarre job. I have other tales to tell, but since they're not machinist related, I won't waste the space unless you guys want to hear them. Let me know.

Comment

Oso:
                        Mac's are easy to fix - what you talking about? It can be difficult to get parts to fix it cheap - email me with your Mac woes maybe I can help.

Comment

On the subject of unrepairable new cars... I mentioned to someone at work that I couldn't check the tranny fluid in my girlfriend's new car (Alero), and she said that the new Exploders don't have an engine oil dipstick!
                          Is that true? I'm a Ford fan, but that could be a pretty bad trend.

Comment

Why would they have a dipstick? The owner's can't be bothered to check tire pressure, what makes you think they would check the oil level?

Seriously, doesn't it make you feel good when someone tells you 'You're lucky you can fix things. It would cost me $200 and you fixed it in an hour.'

I think it is mostly powers of observation. So many people just don't (or can't) see what is directly in front of them. They can't see cause and effect.

Either that or we all have abilities and ours just run on a different track than most peoples. I can only grow weeds. So I buy food. My musical abilities stop at listening. I'm not even sure I understand most of what passes for art. But, I wouldn't trade my abilities for any of those; I'm happy with what I have.

Mike L

[This message has been edited by Mike L (edited 10-03-2002).]
                            Mike L
                            Amateur machinist, self-taught. I had a poor teacher, but I was a good student.

Comment

Soon they'll take away the dip stick for the engine oil too. I no longer see anyone checking oil level at gas stations, and I don't blame them. My wife's Corolla has 250,000km, and it simply doesn't burn any oil so checking the level is simply a waste of time.

It's been my observation that doing vehicle maintenance work on your own is going the way of Heath Kit. I don't know anyone who even changes their own engine oil anymore. I do it not to save money but because I know that it's being done right. You may laugh, but I like to use my torque wrench when tightening the drain plug.

Hey, is all this discussion for self gratification or may be even self glorification?

Albert

Comment

Naw, don'thave a mac, but the ones at work work great, until they have some goofy incompatibility in the OS.
                                THEn the trouble starts, cuz a Mac with a real problem seems to puzzle all the computer folks, even the Mac experts. We have a couple that won't talk to particular printers, even though others do, and the best available "mac software fixit guys" don't even have a clue.
                                Maybe its because they usually work fine, nobody gets any practice.

Comment

Working...
                                X