No announcement yet.

I just love it when my machines saves $$$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell us a story or two locksmith. Just remember "first liar ain't got a chance". If you can beat some of the stories a locksmith i once knew told, they will be worth the time.

If any one GIVES me a car with no dipstick (I sure won't buy one and am too smart to steal a car with no dipsticks) I'll be drilling a hole or something into crank case. Course they could have finally figured out how to make a oil level meter that works well. Dodge had one in their 727 transmissions that depended on a negative temp coefficient resistor. I put in a gauge (meter) to measure oil temp- the meter read backwards. cant have too many meters- keeps the mind working as I drive.

Steve

Comment

I've thouroughly enjoyed this banter and feel compelled to share my own philosophy on the matter. When I was a boy I read a Sci-Fi novel about a society after "the BIG ONE" where there were two groups of people -the button pusher's and the one's that knew how the button's worked. Guess which group was more prized. I have always kept that thought in the back of my mind - what makes the button work? At 37 I'm a neo-phite compared to many of you who regularly visit this veniew and it makes me feel good that so many of you who have seen so much in your lives continue to embrace new things and share your wealth of knowledge. It absolutely flabergasts me when people half my age know absolutely NOTHING about computer's! They can work with them but GOD forbid they have a problem with it. Button pusher's at work! May the cuts be true my friends - I've ranted enough - even for my fellow Canadian THRUD.
      Best wishes
      Chris

Comment

Mike L:
        Now I see who took my 1st choice of login names

I had a garage change my oil once... they screwed it up, and charged more than they advertised (oh... filters are EXTRA! How silly of me)
        Plus, thats when I get a chance to look around underneath and see what else may need attention.

Besides (promise not to tell!), I enjoy doing that sort of stuff.

Comment

CompositeEngr - Sorry about the name theft. It probably is theft since I wasn't born with the name Mike, I just took it about 30 years ago.

If your handle isn't just something you took, but something you do, please email me offline at: [email protected]

We have a potential composite project and maybe you can steer us in the right direction, maybe we can even do business.

Mike L
          Mike L
          Amateur machinist, self-taught. I had a poor teacher, but I was a good student.

Comment

Do you have any bimetal concerns? Aluminum is subject to many weird corrosion mechanisms and butting aluminum against steel in an electrolyte can cause the aluminum to go away quickly.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ponderingjunkman:
            I did look long and hard at the ABS controller before I dove in and did anything. Safety should not be an issue as it was a dissasemble-reassemble type operation. All this done with surgical cleanliness. It was acually less complicated than rebuilding a master cylinder. And the tube I replaced was far stronger being made of steel than the cracked aluminum was! Great point on Safety Oso! Don't try to repair a tie rod end or anything similar!</font>
            Dennis

Comment

I did think of that- But since steel brake lines screw into the same casting that my steel part joins with I thought it would be a non issue. I replied to an Email from a member in detail about this fix-explaining all its aspects. It is sort of long, but would anyone else like to hear it? I'll try to post it if you like.

Comment

Hey, Rotate!!

Heath Kit?? Man! I haven't heard that name in years!!! Are they still on the market??

Al

Comment

Ok. Probably the most bizarre thing I ever saw was at this "Artist's" house in Jersey City, NJ. The place had probably been a funeral home at one time, judging from the facade on this place.
                  The guy's friend opens the door and invites me in to show me what locks need to be changed. At the end of the hallway, I see what appears to be a naked guy leaning against the wall. It turns out to be an anatomically correct manakin. I'm wondering about this as I follow the guy into the living room, and as I turn into the room, there in front of me is a 4 foot diameter,lifelike sculpture of the head of Christ on the cross, complete with the crown of thorns. Scared the hell out of me for a second. I look around the room and there's about 8 of these things hanging on racks: one looks like Buckwheat, another is a guy in a gas mask, and so on. I look to the left and there had to be at least 10 human manakins,just like the first one, every one of them naked ,with ALL their equipment and hair: Two little kids playing marbles, an old woman leaning on a card table. On shelves along the walls, he had human size sculptures of the 4 foot heads on the other side of the room.
                  The friend just shook his head when I asked him about. It seems he thought his buddy was a little strange as well. I did what I had to do, but I couldn't shake the feeling of a dozen eyes upon me while I did it. Creepy!

Comment

My father has made several repairs on his Honda Accord, most of the fixes to non serviceable components : blower motors, computer controls, relays etc. A few days ago the car wouldn't start due to no fuel pressure, pump was OK, the control module was defective, would have been hunreds of dollars at the dealer to repair, he took it apart and resoldered a component. He knows the car better than the service techs at the dealer because they can only replace the parts.

Comment

My '82 Toyota pickup has an oil dipstick, but I never use it anymore. I already know what it's going to say. The truck burns a little oil when I start it up, and if that gets any worse, I'll see more smoke. It leaks a little oil, about four ounces a year right now, and if that gets any worse, I'll see bigger spots on the driveway. It's down a quart in 7 or 8,000 miles, and I usually get the oil changed after 3000, so I'm not worried about running it dry. And it's got 254,000 miles on it.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out car makers can build an engine that never needs oil between the recommended oil change intervals. Some, and I emphasize some, aspects of automotive engineering really are advanced over what they were 30 or 40 or 50 years ago.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dunc (edited 10-06-2002).]

Comment

Working...
                      X