MMM - More Mystery Metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMM - More Mystery Metal

As I walk the streets around here, I see many strips of metal laying about in the vicinity of power poles. These are about 1/8 inch wide, about .030 thickness, and about 8 inches long. Most of them have some angle on each end. They are quite springy and tough, comparable to music wire.

I've been seeing this for years, since my high school days. I assumed they were the strips of metal that we used to remove from our wooden rulers back then, but that's not the case. They are everywhere there are power poles. I could walk around my neighborhood right now, and in a 1/4 mile or so there would be maybe six or eight of these. Anybody know what they are, and their purpose?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

I see them too. Brushes from Street Sweepers that have broken off.

Comment

Spring steel. I have used them a lot.

Comment

Yep, from the street sweeper brushes.

Les

Comment

Street sweeper?

Whazzat?

I remember those from when I was a kid.... and cities had money.

I haven't seen a regularly swept street in 30 years..... All those old Elgin Pelicans went to the construction companies, or scrap.

Around here, the city sweeps 6 times a year, and its leaf sweeping, not cleanup sweeping.
          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Ask and ye shall receive the answer. Makes perfect sense now. Thanks.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

MMM....mmmm, my favourite! It keeps me from any form of sanity!
              I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

They harden pretty well. I used to make lock picking tools out of them, and thought it would be a good idea to harden them (cut me some slack...I was 8 or so). Unfortunately I made it so brittle that I snapped it off in the lock. It was the back door lock...I think my dad nearly had a fit over that one.

-Justin

Comment

darryl -
                  Any way you'd consider sending 10 or so my way? I've heard about those things, and I've also heard how handy they can be. I'll pay postage, or work a trade. You can reach me at mj[underscore]news[at]verizon[dot]net. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X