Is this underhanded or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this underhanded or not?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOW -TO-RUN-A-LATHE-MACHINE-SHOP-TOOL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26442QQitemZ456596 6203QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

vs.

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks/lathebk/index.html

Same book!

$7.95 from the publisher (and others) vs. $11.95 from the ebay seller who obliterates a portion of the cover to hide the publisher information. I'm pretty sure the ebay seller has higher shipping and handling charges too.

Your thoughts?

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 08-03-2005).]

OhoJim (ebay name) is a home machinist in Southern California the best I remember. He specializes in out of print books. I have spent quite a bit of money with him.

He is a nice guy, I think he is disabled.

David

Comment

But he says he's reprinted the book when it's obvious he hasn't. He also says it's more expensive elsewhere, which, as far as I've seen, it isn't, unless maybe he's selling it at an even higher markup elsewhere.

Some will say, "buyer beware" and they're right.

I'm not saying what the guy is doing should be made illegal but I'm just asking if you think it's underhanded.

Comment

He sent me two books once, I had bought one. I sold it to a friend and sent him the money.

DOn't know if he was having a scatterbrained Monday or what was going on in his life.

We exchanged emails for a while. You can't have enough friends in this hateful world.

I don't like the "joking" format of his ad either thou. If I didn't know him I'd shy away.

David

Comment

I used to begrudge my wheelchair tattooist buddy. He did not have true artistic talent. I thought he was a scratcher and hurting people.

Later I relaxed enough to know every dog needs a bone. That was the last thing he could do to earn a honest dollar.

I covered up a lot of his work.

Since the two book ordeal, I don't know what this guy has been doing. HIring help or? I know he has books you can't get anywhere. Makes me mad, sometimes he has books I can't afford and want.. and want.. and want..

Comment

David,

Do his books show up with Lindsay on the cover?

I much prefer the way this guy sells his books -

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=1596

Notice how he doesn't jack up the price and obliterate the 'Reprinted by Lindsay Publications Inc' portion of the cover.

Comment

What this seller does is one of my pet peeves with eBay. He gives *retaliatory* Negative Feedback whenever he receives Negative Feedback. Most of the buyers that I checked out, it was their only Negative Feedback and it was given by the seller no matter if it was deserved or not - purely out of spite.
              I was considering ordering a book but from him, but ... No thanks, I'll buy it elsewhere - even if I have to pay more.

*edit for spelling*

[This message has been edited by crews1 (edited 08-03-2005).]

[This message has been edited by crews1 (edited 08-03-2005).]

Comment

I give neg.or neutral f/b just for being a general PITA.
                You know the type always asking stupid questions like do you ship to italy,when I state ships to United States only.Or some such and then when you describe it as best you can, they get it and say its not what they wanted, wrong color,not big enough, Too big,shipping too high(I flat rate everything and post such so they know it in advance). I have heard it all.

And before I get flamed,If you don't like my attitude dont bid on my stuff.

[This message has been edited by IOWOLF (edited 08-03-2005).]

Comment

If you check my feedback on ebay you'll find a couple of neg's. One I ate, other I reponded with the truth.

Still Ohojim, and I never have met him.. just exchanged emails is 98% and that is hard on ebay. You always get the run of the mill Unhappy people who would not be happy if you hung them with a new rope.

David

Comment

Gee! He's even worse on some of his other auctions.

For Workshop Practice Series book #24 he wants $24.95!!! www.wiseowlmagazines.com wants $14.00.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pgmrdan:
                      But he says he's reprinted the book when it's obvious he hasn't.
                      Some will say, "buyer beware" and they're right.

</font>
                      price yeah, buyer beware...misrepresenting stuff, thats just plain wrong and i believe illegal. even then, he's not really adding value so the price bump is sleazy - ie has he improved the quality or service or his is business model based on the ignorance of the customer?

to the question, it's underhanded in the sense that most legit vendors (real world) try hard to develope trust with their customers. they want customers to trust that for the most part its a decent product, they stand behind it, have reasonable prices etc - in other words they're in business to make a profit not scam or trick people.

this guy sounds like he's into tricking people and that makes him a sleazeball vendor not a trusted source, so yeah its underhanded imo.

[This message has been edited by Mcgyver (edited 08-03-2005).]
                      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Ohojim really messes with my searches on eBay - I'm constantly adding his name in the "Advanced Search" list of excluded sellers because of his including half of the book's text in the auction description. Since I'm unlikely to ever buy something from him (getting better prices, retail, from Lindsay & Tee) it's annoying. I wish eBay would let me have a "nuke this list of sellers" in my profile, he'd be the first on the list.

Comment

I have to agree with WOLF, some people on ebay are just stupid or they try to scam you after the sale.
                          I always post pictures (and will email extras) and tell people they can look in catalog X to see what the item looks like new but sure enough I got the "you lied to me and ripped me off" BS, I sold a 8" four jaw D1-4 chuck for $35, posted pictures of the front and back of the chuck. Moron boy
                          buys the chuck and it won't fit his screw on head stock. He says if I return his money and he keeps the chuck, no negative feedback. I said FU.
                          I emailed everyone who was bidding on his junk or that he was attempting to buy from and attached his eamails, shortly after he changed his name.
                          Non, je ne regrette rien.

Comment

Never dealt with the buyer in question,but have bought from Tech003.They were a couple bucks higher than Lindsay,but Lindsay doesn't always have the book you want in stock.
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I agree with you guys. Damn the free market economy. The audacity of someone charging more than another and trying to make a living. I think we should get the Federal government involed in Ebay price regulations to protect us from from these sleazy capitalists. The very idea that I should be expected to fend for myself just makes me tired. What is the government for anyhow?

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X