Hydraulic Jack Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic Jack Oil

I have one of those small roll-around floor jacks, and while using it Sunday noticed it wasn't lifting until very near the bottom of the pump cycle.

So I figured it needed some oil added, since I'd noticed a little leakage at the screw that releases pressure. When I checked the owner's booklet it said "...only fill with hydraulic jack oil". Went to the auto parts store, and they'd never heard of such. But then they didn't have any kind of hydraulic oil, so I'm not sure they would have known anyway. So I just went back home and topped it off with some oil (of forgotten origin) and life was good.

Is there a jack oil that's substantially different from regular hydraulic oil?
    ...and if so, where would you find it? ..at a hydraulic jack store? Would Tractor Supply have it?

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 08-04-2005).]
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

I've seen it at the tractor supply place as well as some speed shops... not the auto chain stores. It's a very thin oil.
    Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

Menards,westlake, Ace. It comes in a pint bottle with a pointy spout on top.

Comment

Thanks.
        There's a TSC close to where I work. I'll try there.

The stuff I put in was thin. I'm pretty sure I drained it from some sort of hydraulic scenario 2 or 3 years ago, but can't remember just what. It's a pretty, green color tho, whatever it is.
        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lynnl:
          Thanks.
          . It's a pretty, green color tho, whatever it is.
          </font>
          2 Smoke oil it could be. All the Hydro oils I've used have been clear in color. As long as it works what the hey... You use jack stands just in case right?
          Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

The green could be J/D transdraulic fluid.

Comment

I think most thin mineral oils are OK to use. Just don't use hydraulic brake fluid. it will destroy the seals.
              Jim H.

Comment

What about power steering fluid? power steering is hydraulic in nature, so i would think that fluid would work..

Comment

The hydraulic system on my Land Rover uses ATF. It works fine.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Yup;

Auto' transmission fluid is hydraulic oil. And you can get it in clear.

------------------
                    Norm'
                    If it isn't broken, why do I keep trying to fix it??
                    Norm'
                    Member C.A.L.S. Balt'
                    If it's not broken, why do I keep trying to fix it....

Comment

Lynnl - I did get a plastic bottle of hydraulic jack oil at the local auto supply store - and not a particularly well-stocked store, either. You might try another auto parts outlet. Mine worked OK in the cheap HF engine lift.

Incidentally, prices seem to be rising at both HF and Grizzly, if you compare them to last year's prices. I wonder why!! A.T.

Comment

I have a pint plastic bottle of Hydraulic Jack Oil that I purchased when I bought the jack. It is clearish and thin. Most tool stores sell it. Also have a similar bottle of Compressor Oil bought from same store when I purchased my compressor.

Michael
                        Australia.
                        Michael

Australia

Comment

The Chinese are revaluing their currency.

click

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 08-04-2005).]
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

We use trans-fluid to refill all the jacks and hoists at work. Trans-fluid is basically a high-temp hydraulic fluid with anti-foaming additives.It works well.
                            \"I see\" said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JCHannum:
                              I think most thin mineral oils are OK to use. Just don't use hydraulic brake fluid. it will destroy the seals. </font>
                              Thanks for that 'heads up' JC. I'd briefly considered brake fluid before remembering that green stuff I had.

And yes, I always make sure there's a jack stand or some sort of dependable support in place - just in case. That's no place for shortcuts! In fact there's where I first decided to fix the jack ...when I was trying to jack the car back up off the jack stand, and it was taking forever to get enough lift.

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 08-04-2005).]
                              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Working...
                              X