No announcement yet.

Hydraulic Jack Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydraulic oil is hydraulic oil and jack oil is jack oil and the two should not be mixed.

Simple,but important reason,jack oil is almost pure mineral oil,this is so it has less of a tendancy to allow air to diffuse into it.

When air is diffused into oil it causes the oil's compressibility to change usually increasing it,in a jack this is bad.All hydraulic cylinders leak internally,the extent of the leak determines performance and life expectancy.The compressibility of an oil has an effect on the seals ability to maintain pressure,when the compressibility increases the leaks in the system become greater as more oil is able to compress and seep under seal lips.A spongy oil can cause seals to fail or become intermittant.

Never use anything but jack oil in a jack,on some expensive jacks and porta-power system to do so also voids the warranty,Simplex air-over hydraulic pumps are one example of this.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
      The Chinese are revaluing their currency.

click

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 08-04-2005).]
      </font>
      Old news,they only revalued it,it is still pegged.Call us back when it floats.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Just put red automotive tranny fluid in it أ©

Comment

Somehow,I reckon that ISO32 hydraulic oil is what is needed.
          Oddly, that it what lubricates my myford lathe.

I paid coppers for the oil at the local supplier when Myford wanted rocket prices for similar stuff.

Cheers

Norman

Comment

Guess what, ...Harbor Freight has jack oil. Paid about $2.95/pint.

I was in Tractor supply yesterday, but forgot to check if they have it.

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 08-12-2005).]
            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Working...
            X