Need O/A Torch Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need O/A Torch Help

Often when I light my torch (welding tips) the flame is standing off the end of the tip by about 1". Then when I open up the O2 and start trying to adjust for a neutral flame, it quickly blows out the flame. I have the guage pressures set as per the values shown in a little Victor booklet I have.

It seems to help if I run a tip cleaner thru the orifice, but the tip really doesn't seem to have any obstructions.

I haven't been able to determine any predictable methods of adjustments to correct this.

Anyone have any good advice to offer?

Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

just barly crack open the acetylene at the torch , once you add some o2 you can fire it up more with acetylene.

Comment

Amateur ,Like he said just crack it open You will get some soot off the flame but thats ok just ad O2 slowly.

Comment

Well I thought I was barely opening it (i.e. acet.), but I'll give that a try.

Thanks

Oh yeah, I am an amateur, no question about that. I did take a welding class several years ago, and we started with the O/A (just cutting). But that's been at least 6 or 7 years, and I haven't had one to play with until recently.

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 08-10-2005).]
        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

sounds like your Acet pressure is too high for the tip size youre trying to use.

make sure you're reading the right chart for your tip size.

most tend to set working pressures on the high side. not only can this be dangerous, it gets expensive.

-tony

Comment

You've just opened the acetylene valve on your torch handle too far. No way should the flame be 1" from the tip before the oxygen valve is opened. You're blowing out the flame.

Comment

I have a victor. I open the acet until the flame just starts to leave the tip and then start opening the oxygen. Good luck welding! I can cut pretty good but now o/a welding. My nerves cant take the "BANG" when your concentrating so hard
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Make sure your acetylene pressure at the secondary stage is no more than 5 to 10 psi (depending on tip size). With a #8 cutting tip (for demo work) I use 10 psi. Acetylene is unsafe and unstable at more than 15psi, so I use a little bit of a buffer zone. Knock your acetylene back a bit, so you don't blow the flame out before o2 is applied.

Comment

Most recently was using a Victor size 0, w/3psi initially of acetylene. But it didn't seem to matter when I dialed it back down.

I probably am cracking it open too much, since I'm doing that with thumb and index finger while holding it in same (right) hand. It's kind of awkward since I'm left handed, and seem to need my left hand to strike the lighter.
                  Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Lynnl

I'm an Amateur too. I usually leave the acetylene pressure on the secondary reg set as low as I can to get the cutting torch (the largest tip I use)to run OK. To light, I too hold the torch in my right hand. However, I crack (read barely open) the acetylene with thumb and forefinger of my left hand holding the striker. By the time I have the striker positioned in front of the torch and generate a spark, the acetylene cloud ignites with a satifying POOF. Then I make sure there is no gap between the torch tip and the flame. I then crack the O2 and adjust for the flame size and type I want. Rude and crude, but I haven't lost any eyebrow, mustache, or sideburn hair in a good long time doing it this way.

Cam

Comment

I don't like the carbon smoke of incomplete acet. burn. To light up, open acet. valve to just less than you will be using then crack open oxy. valve. Use striker. It will light burning cleaner than acet. only. Then adjust for desired flame.
                      Always close acet. valve first when shutting down for clean stopping.
                      When working in a clients home this will be appreciated.
                      Jim

Comment

Yep - that was the problem. I was just cracking it open too much at the torch handle. Got it all squared away now!

The acet. valve at the handle is mighty sensitive. Open it teeny bit.. no gas. Teeny bit more ..still no gas. Teeny bit more ..still no gas. Teeny bit more, finally it lights.

After thinking about it, I recall that I didn't have that problem the first few times I used it. I'm sure I was being more cautious and deliberate then.

Don't they make another type of lighter, rather than the spark (flint) variety?

I almost need two hands to get that to spark. I have 2 or 3 and they all seem to try to twist when I squeeze them one-handed, rather than smoothly moving the flint across the serrated block.
                        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

"Don't they make another type of lighter, rather than the spark (flint) variety?"

Just don't use any kind of a cigarette lighter!!!

The flint lighters that come with a kit usually leave a lot to be desired. You may just need a better flint lighter.

They may make some kind of piezoelectric lighter. Check at a welding supply shop.

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 08-11-2005).]

Comment

Learn to use the striker in your right hand. It is a truly right handed tool! I'm left handed too and the striker is a pain to use. It will not work in my left hand. I can't seem to push the flint into steel with enough force. It took a little practice to get to work in my right hand but it works better there.
                            Joe

Comment

Thanks, I'll try it right handed.

Yes, I was aware of the hazards of using cigarette lighters. The pizoelectric was what I had in mind. But, I prefer simple things over gadgetry, so if I can make the flint striker work for it I'll like that better.
                              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Working...
                              X