No announcement yet.

Need O/A Torch Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run, 7-8 pounds acetylene, and 60-70 lbs of oxygen.

I watched guy last weekend I handed my torch to him, he could not light it. I know for a fact he worked as a ironworker on two jobs. No clue other than he was having a bad day.

When you light it, get you about a eight to ten inch flame that lightly curls up on the ends, then crack the oxygen and draw the inner flames color to a fine blue points about 1/4-3/8" long. Open the lower oxygen handle all the way up and adjust flame with the upper. Tilt your torch slightly in the direction of travel so you preheat the metal as you blow a cut. If you outrun your heat you will have a rough place/slag in that hole. Hard to weld back. I burned a column out on a water tank in FLorida for man-access, I burned a 3/8" crack in that stand pipe. (ten coats of paint, no grinder and it was popping something crazy). I sure am glad I was not there when the welder was hired to put it back.

Nothing beats experience when you are doing anything. I still learn things each day.

I remember getting into a 4'x6' manhole with a lit torch and burning bolts off a header pipe. The rust made the torch pop and splatter me with hot slag. I was burned up when I came out of the hole with hundreds of holes in my clothes. Since then, everything else has been easy.

I burned off my beard while trimming in the clip on a studebaker car. My head was under the fender, I caught on fire, I dropped the torch, put out my chin and caught the torch before it hit the ground. I had flames up to my eyebrows for a split second.

Then, I remember having on some vinyl topped tennis shoes that flamed up *I think I was welding that day thou.

Gotta grin and take the lil things.

Comment

To test for a "perfect" neutral flame--
      1) light torch
      2) adjust to what is a visable nuetral flame
      3) if pressure is correct and flame is neutral, you should be able to hold on to the tip less than .125 back from the flame and not get burned. We are talking about starting with a room temp tip not one you have been welding with. I find you should be able to hold on for at least 2 minutes or more. Next time I give this demo I will time myself. Maybe if not too busy tomorrow I will light one up and report the results.

A perfect flame will produce only water, Carbon monoxide and heat. The Carbon monoxide will immediatly grab some oxide from the most available source and become carbon dioxide.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jstinem:
        Learn to use the striker in your right hand. It is a truly right handed tool! I'm left handed too and the striker is a pain to use. It will not work in my left hand. I can't seem to push the flint into steel with enough force. It took a little practice to get to work in my right hand but it works better there.
        Joe
        </font>
        You're right Joe! The striker does work much better right handed.

I checked Tractor Supply and saw their piezoelectric. Looks like that oughta work good. But it looked a little short to me. Would put your hand up pretty close to the business end of the torch.

I think I have a couple of old piezo..'s salvaged from gas grills. Would be simple to cobble up a homemade version from one of those.

Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Working...
        X