Gas prices up and up and up and up and up and up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas prices up and up and up and up and up and up

here in the UK Gasoline (petrol) is nearly $10 a gallon.And you Americans think you've got it bad Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Gee, that's really rough Alistair. How far is it to the next village where you live? Here it is about 100km.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Hmm. According to today's news it looks like about آ£1.00 per litre. That works out to $6.76 US per US gallon.

Comment

Yea but you get 5 quarts to the gal.

Comment

We haven't had gallons here for decades.

Comment

Most of what you folks pay seems to be taxes...

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Theres just under 5 litres to a gallon so that makes it as today the dollar pound is alsmost two dollars to the pound almost ten dollars a gallon.perhaps the USA gallon is less than 5 litres but its still alot more than you guys pay alot more.Alistair

Comment

Alistair,

How much duty is incorporated into each litre of petrol in the UK?

Comment

True,Sad but true.

They say we will never see much below the $2.00 P/G again.

Comment

Mike my understanding is it is around 85% possibly more same with booze I dont drink but my car does so I am hit with gas prices worse whiskey duty is around 92%tax I believe these figures are from memory so dont quote me Alistair

Comment

I converted my car to lpg over 5 years ago.
                      I cant imagine paying that price for fuel again.....I would not be going anywhere-anytime
                      Would you believe that the ford f150 truck is the best selling car in the USA.
                      This truck has an engine of 4.2 ltrs capacity......
                      What a guzzler !!!!
                      Talk about NOT saving the planet.
                      Think you guys in the USA should now be thinking Honda 1.1 Civic now .
                      All the best....mark

Comment

F-150? Feh.....

I drive a truck. The engine is 2.2l It is "EPA stickered" at 29 mpg, which means I can get 26 in real conditions.

There's Hondas that are stickered at only 33mpg. But they are sedans, move people and a tiny scrap of luggage....that's it.

That Honda hybrid is a fake... it gets good mileage, but only on teh highway. electric motor is 10 HP, used only as a booster. Engine stays on when stopped at light.

The Prius is pretty good, but fits nothing in it but people... fits tall people, admittedly. Engine goes off at stoplights...good.

Then you get to the "bubble" or "egg" cars, the ones you "wear". Typical non-functional "environmentally friendly" product. I'd rather ride a motorcycle, or drive a Citroen 2CV, an Isetta, or a Messerschmidt 3-wheel.

If everyone who drives an F-150 or similar(but doesn't need to) would just buy a truck like mine instead, that would double the average gas mileage.....

And if the freakin idiots who just gotta drive a "Hummer" or "H2" would scrap those bastards, we'd solve BOTH the fuel price issue AND the price of steel.......

Then, we start with the over-the-road trucks..... it's called a railroad, folks, it is highly fuel efficient, and it worked for 100 years before everyone got in such a hurry that they had to have direct-to-door overnight or 2 day delivery.

BTW, a litre is a bit over 1/3 US gallon, about 3.6 litres to the gallon.

AFAIK, 2 years ago UK was paying 25% for gas, 75% in taxes. If taxes are fixed amount, the percentage is probably lower now. If they are proportional, like sales tax (VAT), it is likely close to the same percentages.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aboard_epsilon:
                          ....Would you believe that the ford f150 truck is the best selling car in the USA.
                          This truck has an engine of 4.2 ltrs capacity......
                          What a guzzler !!!!
                          Talk about NOT saving the planet.
                          Think you guys in the USA should now be thinking Honda 1.1 Civic now .
                          All the best....mark
                          </font>

4.2 would be the little engine, the F150 goes up to 5.4L and the F250 goes up to 6.8L. The older trucks had a 460" (7.5L) available. Heck my Ranger has a 4.0L in it. Great trucks but that's why I'm looking into an MC for fair weather commuting.

------------------
                          -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

I have been to the states many many times and always was impressed by the quality of your vehicles they always were very nice.WE had the Americans here in Dunoon ( Naval base)on the holy loch for many years (thirty I believe), and when they left I bought a brand new washing machine and tumble drier from them I have them to this day at least fifiteen years and used every day you don't get that longevity from british goods well done I take my hat off to you guys you mmake fine products.Alistair

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alistair Hosie:
                              Theres just under 5 litres to a gallon so that makes it as today the dollar pound is alsmost two dollars to the pound almost ten dollars a gallon.perhaps the USA gallon is less than 5 litres but its still alot more than you guys pay alot more.Alistair</font>
                              I know you pay more, and I know you're on the Metric System (another flaming thread). But why are UK gallons different from US? I get 4.5 liter per UK gallon - is this correct?
                              The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Working...
                              X