X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 3 Phase Lightbulb
    • Apr 2024

PsychoKart Video

I made a little PsychoKart video tonight for the first time... It was running way to lean, but I'll fix that and make another video with it running better soon:

Low Quality (2mb):

High Quality (24mb):

-Adrian

[This message has been edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb (edited 08-29-2005).]
  • rsr911
    • Oct 2004

I realize your lawn needs mowed but their has to be better ways to do it than that!

Pretty cool though, how fast do you think it will go once you've finished it?

------------------
    -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

• 3 Phase Lightbulb

I have the gearing around the same as the stock bike, but mine has 4 wide draggy tires so it's probably going to be a lot slower than the bikes original 125mph top speed. I also have a very high-ratio steering arm so steering at high speed would be very twitchy but probably a lot of fun too.

I need to find a track that will let me open it up on..

-Adrian

Comment

• JPR
        • Jun 2004

Very cool.

How are you getting fuel to the carbs?

Now to sound like your mother, please weld a front bumper on the kart. Not sure how many people remember Rick Mears spending many months in rehab because his Indy race car did not protect his feet and ankles when he wrecked.

Again, very cool. Jon

[This message has been edited by JPR (edited 08-21-2005).]
        John

Comment

• Ryobiguy
          • Sep 2003

It certainly lives up to it's name. I have to admit that I was flinching watching that, certainly any "ooops" in driving that is going to be a really big one. I hope you've got a seat belt, and/or have had all the kids you'd like to have.

All psycho-ness aside, that's an awesome project, nice job getting it up and running, and thanks for sharing the videos!

Comment

Now thats Cool, Did ya take it out the rode so you could really stretch your leg, bet the top speed is awesome, we run micro-sprints with 250 dirt bike motors running alcohol & they will get it,need to find a 1/4 mile clay track & turn it loose. Great job on the build, seen pics earlier in the year, have fun.

Comment

• 3 Phase Lightbulb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JPR:
              Very cool.

How are you getting fuel to the carbs?

Now to sound like your mother, please weld a front bumper on the kart. Not sure how many people remember Rick Mears spending many months in rehab because his Indy race car did not protect his feet and ankles when he wrecked.

Again, very cool. Jon
              </font>
              Thanks for the motherly advice

I actually have a small gas tank on top of the engine that feeds the carbs via gravity.

I also have an empty large gas tank mounted to the floor/frame but I'm not using that right now. When I originally tried using the tank on the floor, the pump (1psi) was overwhelming the carbs causing fuel to pour out the overflows. I kept reducing the pressure and I couldn't get it low enough to prevent fuel from just pouring out the overflows. I decided to try just gravity feeding. Even gravity feeding caused fuel to piss out the overflows so I then realized that the float valve(s) were stuck open. I've completely rebuilt the carbs so I can go back to my original fuel tank/pump if I want but I currently just have the small tank hooked up .

Carb rebuild:

-Adrian

Comment

• JPR
                • Jun 2004

Are you running an electric fuel pump or a crankcase pressure operated pump?
                This is what a snowmobile uses for a fuel pump, this has two outlets. You can either tee them or run two pumps. Mukini fuel pump

[This message has been edited by JPR (edited 08-21-2005).]
                John

Comment

• 3 Phase Lightbulb

I'm installed this exact pump:

Walbro Bellows electric pump

I might have been able to use the vacuum line on my carbs to drive a pulse pump (The vacuum normally is used to open the Petcock) but it's a constant vacuum so I'm not sure if that would have worked.

My problem was the float valves were not stopping fuel comming in, so no pressure was being generated and the fuel pump just kept pumping fuel out of the carbs overflow circuit. Now that I've rebuilt the carbs and installed all new float valve seats and pins it should work.

Picture of pump installed but not being used right now:

PsychoKart's 12v Fuel pump

-Adrian

[This message has been edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb (edited 08-21-2005).]

Comment

• JRouche
                    • Aug 2004

I like.

A buddy and I have a yj-400 jet engine on a golf cart right now. It's too fast for the golf cart so we are gonna build a "go-cart" frame for her. Do you have your design on paper? I could use some ideas.

I like the wheelie bars.

JRouche

Comment

• 3 Phase Lightbulb

JRouche,

I don't have anything on paper for my PsychoKart. I've started building my sand rail and I'm going to fully document and illustrate the design and development of it.

I do have tons of early pictures durring the initial building but I didn't start taking pictures until I finished the frame. You should be able to grab the design from some of these early pictures. If you really want the specs or dims on anything, just let me know.

Old pictures of PsychoKart being built

-Adrian

Comment

• 3 Phase Lightbulb

I started to sketch out the design for my next buggy project.. Let me know what you guys think. Does anyone know what the correct angle should be for the trailing suspension arms?

I need to make a side view that will show how the frame is constructed.

Large Version JPG

-Adrian

[This message has been edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb (edited 08-21-2005).]

Comment

• JRouche
                          • Aug 2004

Adrian, thanks for the build photos, I should be able to grab some ideas from them..
                          Some of my issues are going to be the obvious ones, brakes, steering and wheel bearings. Thanks again, JRouche.

Comment

• 3 Phase Lightbulb

JRouche,

I bought most of the small items like wheel bearings, wheel hubs, steering wheel shaft, steering wheel, seat, gas tank, and other standard go-kart items from:

I also had BMI made my custom 44" 1" dia axle. The cost was around $25 which is a 3 Thumbs up in my book. They are great folks.

-Adrian

Comment

• madman
                              • Sep 2004

Sure sounded like it was running extremely poor.Try a zx12r kaw engine with some mods.

Comment

Working...
                              X