Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

two chucks on a lathe at the same time ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .RC.
    replied
    Some more pics...

Leave a comment:

• Alistair Hosie
    replied
    Looks good ringer that's exactly the kind I am talking about Alistair

Leave a comment:

• .RC.
    replied
    I have had mine for a few years and find it a very handy tool to have around...I originally had a 3 jaw on it but have now put a 100mm 4 jaw on it.. It just consists of two opposed tapered roller bearings on a Mt3 arbor with a backing plate a slip fit over the bearings...

Leave a comment:

• andypullen
    replied
    I saw this posting and thought of the Lodge and Shipley Oil Country lathe that one of my former employers had. It had a 12 1/2" bore through the spindle with a big 4 jaw chuck on each end. It was really good for large hydraulic cylinder rods and cylinders up to about 12 1/4" od.....On occasion we would have to put a table some distance from the rear chuck to support the rod we were turning.

Andy Pullen

Leave a comment:

• JS
    replied
    Been using mine for over 7 yrs for misc pipe from 1.5" to 12"

It is real useful to have around.

Leave a comment:

• Forrest Addy
    replied
    It's called a chuck center and Royal and a few other sell them at a huge price. They're easy enough to make from an old drill shank and some bearings and plate. That is, unless you want real spindle bearing performance; then you have to be fussy.

I have a 4" three jaw and a 6" 4 jaw I use for chucking on the tailstock end. I bored a 60 degree conical taper in the back of their solid solid back plates to take the live center. Works good on the rare times I need one or the other.

Leave a comment:

• rockrat
    replied
    When I first saw your subject, I thought "Sure, I do it all of the time" But after reading your intro, I realized that I was thinking on the other plane.

I have a small 4" chuck that I will often chuck up into my larger 11" dia chuck. I use this when I don't want to change over to the collet chuck but I need to grab something small in diameter, which the larger chuck will not close down to.

But I had not thought of using a chuck like you had mentioned. All sorts of new projects now come to mind.

rock

Leave a comment:

• pistonskirt
    replied
    Alistair & Mark

I have seen a rolling tailstock chuck employed to part off a long piece of bar that was greater in diameter than the lathes spindle bore, a fixed steady was employed twixt the two.

regards

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Alistair Hosie
    replied
    Thanks guys mark as you know, I already have a rotary table with a built in chuck .I was thinking of between centres but as has been pointed out here,it should not be fixed but must rotate.thanks guys so far.Alistair

Leave a comment:

• aboard_epsilon
    replied
    trouble is i cant think of any posibilities in a lathe tailstock.
    what would you do with it Alistair.
    a better use for it would be in a rotary table I think....or if you could some how get it into the main chuck of your lathe ..then you could tranfer the work over for further machining on the rotary
    all the best.....mark

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Oh yes , this concept was in use at least 30 years ago, ever heare of an armature chuck?

Variations on a theme.

------------------
    The tame Wolf !

Leave a comment:

• Joel
    replied
    I believe what you are looking for is often called an armature chuck. You see them on eBay fairly regularly.

Leave a comment:

• Timleech
    replied
    Are you talking about a revolving chuck or a fixed one?

I've had a revolving one for about 3 years, there was a spate of them appearing on ebay from E. Europe & I fell for one. Used it no more than three times but two of those times I'd have struggled without it. I know fixed ones exist but not sure what you would do with one?

Tim

Leave a comment:

• jimmstruk
    replied
    Hello Yes I have heard of tailstock chuck. Is it also a rollng chuck like a live center? Also didnt HSM or MW magazine have an article on such a thing recently? One can be purchased or built as a project JIM

Leave a comment:

• Alistair Hosie
    started a topic two chucks on a lathe at the same time ???

two chucks on a lathe at the same time ???

I recently have been impressed with a small scrollchuck 3 jaw not a jacobs but full size chuck with a mt3 taper shank which would fit neatly in my tailstock allowing numerous possibilities has anyone tried or heard of this is it a gimmick or neat tooling accessory?Alistair
Working...
X