torpedoman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torpedoman

Are there any ex-Navy torpedomen out there? I am searching for some answers to tech questions for a novel I'm writing. I don't have Clancy's research staff.

Thanks
    Greg
    If you\'re data is anomalous, you\'ve more digging to do.

I heard the fuel makes a good booze,never tried it though.

------------------
    The tame Wolf !

Comment

I know a torpedo officer from a Balao class boat. He's a bit old to be playing with bulletin boards himself, but he'll probably answer questions if I forward them.

Comment

I work with an ex-torpedo man. I think he served two or three hitches. He enjoys talking about his navy days. I'm sure he'd love to discuss details with you.

...or at least I think he would. Email me and I'll pass along your email to him.

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 08-22-2005).]
        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

X torpedoman
          surface Navy
          1961 - 1970

TM2

Mk 44 & Mk46

------------------
          George
          Remember the early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.
          George from Conyers Ga.
          Remember
          The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

What would you like to know, I have access to torpedo and sonar info, new and old.
            Non, je ne regrette rien.

Comment

Okay, gang, here's the scenario: would it be possible to load and launch a torpedo, from today's arsenal, from a WWII fleet sub? Specifically a Gato class. If possible, what modifications need to happen. I'm not looking for specific details, just a fairly specific overview that can be integrated into the story line.

No, you're not gonna get rich. but, if you identify yourself, to me, you will get a credit when/if the book is published.

Thanks to all of you who have responded.

Comment

Well, the Gato class and the Los Angeles class both have 21" tubes so I'd guess the sticking point would be the fire control system.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Per my co-worker ex TM-1:
                  "Both use a 21" tube. You could load a MK 48 or ADCAP, but you'll have no wire guidance and the Fire Control might not work." It could also be launched by 'impulse', but not sure if the gyros would kick off and the motor would start.

Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

How about length? I don't know the length of a WWII torpedo but, doesn't that Mk-48 run about 19'?

If the darned thing will fit in the tube, poetic license ( within reason ) and the crew can handle making it work.

By impulse launching, do you mean launching with comprerssed air?

Thanks,
                    Greg

Comment

Yea, impluse is compressed air.

So, if the new torps have backup gyros, you could take the cover off, set the gyro manually, 'cobble' some way to start the motor, get it running in the tube (big no-no) then chuck it out using air. Just don't forget to open outter doors first.

just a thought..?

Comment

I used to service equipment on the boats and ships at CFB Esquimalt when I lived in Victoria in the 70's. The RCN had at the time a Tench class boat (HMCS Rainbow) which is exactly the same as the GATO class. One of my co-workers was a submariner. The torpedos for US, Canadian and GB subs all fit the same size envelope since WWII which is 21" x 246" or shorter.

I don't know anything about the fire control system but I bet a nickel you can't fire a MK48 torpedo with a MK3 FCS system from a Gato class. Or, maybe you can.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I rercently toured the USS Tucson (SSN 770) and and in the forward torpedo room I questioned the torpedoman in charge about the tubes which appeared to be Identical to those from WWII. I was told that they are identical and that" we have not been able to improve on that design". This vessel also can lauch a tube launched Tomahawk missile from these tubes. Hope this helps.
                          TD midget

Comment

I stand to be corected, butI think the last time any one did any good old torpedoing
                            was in the Falkland War .
                            Nuclear sub sunk the Belgrano with good old fashioned conventional unguided torpedoes.
                            Got the impression that there was a good enough chance that the wire guided torpedoes of the 1980s would score an own goal so they were much happier using the WW2 technology.

[This message has been edited by thistle (edited 08-23-2005).]

Comment

You people are awsome!! My humble thanks go to you all.

I know that, under normal circumstances, a torpedo is fired electrically. Is there an electrical connection to the weapon?

Thanks, again,
                              Greg

------------------
                              If your data is anomolous, you've more digging to do...

[This message has been edited by pockets (edited 08-23-2005).]

Comment

Working...
                              X