Marvel 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel 8

I had the chance to get an old #8 up and running today. Had to machine the wheels to keep the blade from jumping off and now I need to get the blade guides and feed clutch fixed up. That's one crazy feed mechanism on one of those things

This one is sold

------------------
    Deep Sea Tool Salvage
    Techno-Anarchist

I have absolutely no idea what a Marvel 8 is but I just hate it when no one responds to my posts. So I am responding before this gets exiled to page 2.

It sounds like a challenging restoration. Keep up the good work. And if you have an extra minute or two, say a word or two about what the Marvel 8 is. I would like to know.

Paul A.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Here's a link to a pic of one:

http://www.lakeshoremachinetool.com/photos/20348.jpg

It's interesting because the whole wheel/blade assembly moves while the table remains stationary. The whole she-bang can be tilted in either direction for angle cuts. I did a cut on it when I first powered it up and it ripped right through 1/4 plate like balsa wood...

I have heard of Marvel saws for years but this is my first experience with one.

------------------
      Deep Sea Tool Salvage
      Techno-Anarchist

Comment

It is now Armstrong Bloom, outstanding saw.
        re
        Herm Williams

Comment

what would be the reason for a saw like that, and how does it cut? it looks like the saw moves the blade in the wrong direction (perpendicular instead of parallel).

andy b.
          The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Neat saw. So it is basically a band saw with a serious table? Is the blade facing the front of the picture or the side?

Paul A.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

Make it fit.
            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

The one we had at work had guides to turn the blade, or twist it. Similar to the H/V saws most HSMs seem to have.

Blade was twisted 90 degs so teeth faced front of saw.

Great idea when you want to cut 4 ft long pcs from a 24 ft pc.

Russ H

Comment

The blade makes a 90 like the H/V most of us have. The operators position is standing with the hand wheel to the right of him/her. When the feed is engaged the whole roller/blade carriage moves towards the operator. the hand wheel moves the carriage. Seems like the travel is about 2 feet.

The feed mechanism just elegant simplicity using regular tapered corks and a weight for the clutch. I'm going to finish it up on sunday so I'll post some pics that'll explain it better. It really is cool

------------------
                Deep Sea Tool Salvage
                Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Working...
                X