No announcement yet.

Higbee cut.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Higbee cut.

    Anybody know where "Higbee" got it's name?

    The machinery hand book (24 idition) page 1522 note's "Higbee Cut: see blunt start thread". Older iditions just credit Higbee.
    On my Lufkin thread center gage there is a group of "double depth of thread" demensions. These are Higbee numbers. It's a usefull number.

    Higbee = 1.299/threads per inch = depth of thread cut.
    O.D. of male thread - tap drill size / Higbee = % of thread.

    If Higbee was a Machinist/Tool maker, he knew his stuff.

  • #2
    My edition of Machinery's Handbook also says see blunt start thread.

    Under blunt start thread it says: Blunt start designates the complete removal of the incomplete thread at the starting end of the thread. This is a feature of threaded parts that are repeatedly assembled by hand such as hose couplings and thread plug gauges, to prevent cutting of hands and crossing of threads. It was formerly known as a Higbee cut.


    • #3
      My Emco Maximat 7 has a Higbee Blunt Start Thread on the lathe spindle. Highly recommended.


      • #4

        I teach a metals class at the local tec. college. One of our projects is to turn a 5/8 x 11 thread on a lathe for a steering wheel puller.
        After turning the O.D.
        we make a higbee cut on the puller screws leading end. This takes off the sharp edge, helps to prevent cross threading, and lets the machinist know when the finish cut is near.

        The cut is made with the 60 degree threading tool about .015 into the length, and at a depth of 1.3/11, or .118".

        This same puller screw is used on some other projects: a gear puller, a wheel bearing puller, and a dynamic balancer puller. So it needs to be used in several different parts.

        My question was where did the name "higbee" come from?


        • #5
          I have always seen Higbee with a "big" H. both for Higbee cut and Higbee indicators. so it is likely named after someone or some place check in at your local fire hall and ask. Some training officers can tell you what company started some thing and how the tool/procedure is now named after that company. NO better yet! Look up REDHEAD they make most of the firefighting fittings and they all have Higbee cuts and indicators. They should be able to tell you.