Metal saw...anyone know of it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal saw...anyone know of it?

A guy from another BBS that I visit showed this... He says it cut through 1/2" thick steel like butter and even collects all it's own chips inside a cover in the saw. Anyone know anything about it? He didn't say who made it or anything.
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Believe it or not Harbor Freight sells one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=8897

Comment

Here is a site where you can download video of circular saw cutting 1/4" steel plate.
      http://www.metaldevil.com/seeing.html

Comment

Yes, it is true. Our local steel distributor sells them for around $460.00. They have been on the market for a couple of years now. Those who have them swear by them. I gues I'll have to keep using my bandsaw, chop saw, and torch since they are paid for.
        Rustystud

Comment

Yup, there was one at work. It got used quite a bit when everyone found out what it did. It was a little noisy as I remember, but a nice tool if you got the money.
          Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

According to the blurb you can use the blade on a normal circular saw. The blades are around US$ 50.

Phil Burman

Comment

Are the blades expensive? do they last?

Comment

I just ordered a blade... $11

http://www.mcmaster.com/

4082a25

Comment

i'm durn cornfused. why not just buy one of these and put the metal-cutting blade in it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-7-1-4-Circul...QQcmdZViewItem

who cares if it only lasts a year, or even a week?

on a slight side-note, i love the text of that Horror Fright ad:
                  "Cut through metal as thick as 0.118'' (3mm) to 0.275'' (7mm)"

well obviously if it cuts through metal as thick as 0.275" then i HOPE it cuts through metal as thick as 0.118".

andy b.
                  The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by andy_b:
                    i'm durn cornfused. why not just buy one of these and put the metal-cutting blade in it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-7-1-4-Circular-Saw-Retail -59-99-Wholesale-506_W0QQitemZ5995031467QQcategoryZ20785QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

who cares if it only lasts a year, or even a week?

on a slight side-note, i love the text of that Horror Fright ad:
                    "Cut through metal as thick as 0.118'' (3mm) to 0.275'' (7mm)"

well obviously if it cuts through metal as thick as 0.275" then i HOPE it cuts through metal as thick as 0.118".

andy b.
                    </font>

At 4500 RPM, it wouldn't last more than a few seconds (The blade)..

-Adrian

Comment

I bough some 1" x 6" flat bar from some guys down the road , they sawed off a chunk in about 20 seconds, it left a nice finish like it was milled.

I was impressed. It was much better than packing a big long heavy chunk to a bandsaw.

Comment

The McMaster listed by AHidley is for cutting tin roofing etc. The blade we're talking about here is McMaster# 2431A2 ($56) which has high-temp carbide/titanium tips.

Comment

The video says you can use a standard circular saw or a "special metal cutting saw". What's the difference? RPM?

Comment

Yeah, rpm. I had a chance to buy one at the auction I was at a few weeks a go. I didn't 'cause I was saving my money for the lathe if it went at a reasonable price. I should have bought the saw. They were worm gear drive saws in good condition and there were three of them. They went for $25 apiece.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

"At 4500 RPM, it wouldn't last more than a few seconds (The blade).."

Why not? The blade is rated @ 5800 RPM and the saw operates @ 3500 RPM. I'm not saying that it WOULD work on a regular circular saw, just that the saw/blade RPM isn't a limitation.
                              Dean

Comment

Working...
                              X