Henrob 2000 welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henrob 2000 welder

I saw a demo of this Henrob 2000 welder at the Carlisle car show this week and the guy did some pretty fancy cutting and welding with it. Do any of you guys out there have one ? If so is it any good ?

Check in the archives; there was a note about this a month or two ago.

It's certainly a different style of torch that may have certain advantages, but I think you'll find that most of the real magic is in the skill of the person using it...just like any other torch.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I was the one who posted the original thread. I've been researching this torch on the web, and there's very little written about it. I did find a welding book which has 2-3 pages describing the use of this torch with pictures. I think the primary benefit of this torch is the low flame velocity. Even "Tin Man" on his FAQ states this to be case.

If you don't already have a torch and you're in the marketing for one, this is seriously worth considering.

Albert

Comment

Thanks for the information Rotate. I already have a torch set but I am always looking for something better.I was wondering about reliability,ease of getting spare parts if needed and quality. I liked the way the tool cuts steel up to about .5 thick and the way it welds thin material plus it handles nice. I did some welding on thin Aluminum at the Demo site and I did a great job on it first time out. I was slicing .060 pieces from a piece of .5 thick by 2" wide mild steel with almost no distortion. I would buy it more for it's cutting ability than anything else.

Comment

I bought a Henrob torch when I saw it demonstrated at the Englishtown Raceway swapmeet about 12 years ago. It takes alot of practice to get decent results, just like any torch. As for cutting, if you are only making straight cuts at a comfortable height, its pretty good, but if you have to make cuts with changes of direction or in odd positions, ie;
          fabricating or construction, a regular torch with multiple preheat flames is much better.
          If you want to simulate the cutting action of a Henrob, close off all the preheat flame orfices on your torch tip, except for the one
          leading your cut. You will see that it is dificult to impossible to cut in any direction except straight.
          In my opinion, there is nothing you can do with the Henrob that you can't do with a regular torch and a good set of regulators.
          However for cutting I would suggest that you get a cutting torch, not an attachment for a welding torch. I've been using a couple of Airco cutting torches that I bought at the swapmeet about 12 years ago, and after some practice was able to make extremly smooth cuts. The key is to use a cutting guide and smooth motion and preferably a wheeled guide attachment to keep the tip at constant height off the metal. This will help to keep the oxygen stream parallel to the kerf so slag will blow through without adhering to the underside of the cut. I have found the hardest thing, was to keep a steady motion.

Now that I hardly burn steel, I have lost the feel and can barely make a clean cut.
          You have to practice alot.

Hope this helps.

Comment

yf, Thanks for the information. You are right about practice,thats the only way to get good at anything. I havent welded in about 15 yrs and I tried to Heliarc a piece the other day on my friends welder and it looked like a first day apprentice did it, but after about 3 hrs. I got pretty good. Thanks again for the for the tips.

Comment

Your welcome.

Comment

I bought one of these this year also and I need more practice. I echo the thoughts regarding cutting with the Henrob..I tried to use it for some frame rail notching on my race car but found it impossible to fit it in places with the preheat flame properly ahead of the oxygen. I have been able to do some nice mild steel welding with it.

I just bought a TIG so I am thinking about selling mine and picking up a conventional small torch; perhaps the little one the Tinman likes.

------------------
                Kendall Frederick
                Orange Park, FL
                Used up junk coming to a track near you soon
                Miscellaneous project and car pictures

And some more...
                Kendall Frederick
                Orange Park, FL
                Used up junk coming to a track near you soon
                SecondHand Six Racing

Comment

Dave
                  I have not had the chance to play with one of them, but I like the design. It would be ideal for silver soldering and fine work. I have used one of the micro torches made by Smith and they are excellent for extra-fine stuff - up here they are commonly used by jewelery makers.

Comment

Thanks for all of the good input on the Henrob torch. I think I'll just a buy good torch as was suggested by yf and call it good enough.

Comment

One other point about the Henrob is that it is heavier than most micro torches. For fine work that can make it very difficult. The handgrip is diecast, probably zamac. Also because of its pistol grip design your hand is much closer to the flame than a conventional torch. It comes with a sheet metal deflector, but it really gets in the way. So I found that when cutting I was burning my gloves sometimes.

While mentioning cutting, I would recommend those new multicutter cutoff saws, that use a carbide tipped blade for cutting steel.
                      I got a reconditioned one from Harbor Freight for less than half price and it really cuts smooth and fast, much faster than an abrasive chop saw. Today I made some cuts on C 8" x 18# channel and its scary how fast it cuts, and how much chips it produces.
                      I cut it flat on to the blade, a chopsaw would just bog down and glaze the metal.

At a former job we had a 20" chopsaw and this machine is definately at least 5 times faster and it doesn't heat the metal to the point where you get carbon migration and a glass hard surface on the cut like a chopsaw.

One big drawback is, replacement blades go for about $100. Chopsaw blades are about $3.

Comment

I've had a Henrob torch for about 15 years now. I use it for all of my gas welding. I have never cut with it because it is just easier to put on the victor for that. You can do all the same with a regular Victor style but I like the Henrob better. The tips are more durable and don't pop nearly as mutch and are more adjustable in temprature without changing tips. I have never needed spare parts yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X