Grizzley (Shop Fox) vert/horz combo mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grizzley (Shop Fox) vert/horz combo mill

........In most humble, pleading (possible wheedling a bit) conversation with the wife, it was determined that after the insulated windows and pickup are paid off, it might be time for a mill.

I failed to bring the HSM mag with me to work, but in their add inside the front cover they show a Shop Fox vetical mill that also has a spindle to allow it to be used as a horizontl mill.

Would this seem to be a viable proposition? The price certainly seems reasonable enough. Anyone with experience using this machine?

Rick
    Son of the silver stream ..... Bullet caster.

There have been several vertical/horizontal mills of one sort or another over the years. Vn Norman made one with a pivoting head that could be used vertical, horizontal, or any angle in between, that was really handy.

There was also a small British H/V mill made, the name of which escapes me, more on the lines of what you're talking about, that was a top-quality machine and apparently very well thought of.

So...I'd say the concept is sound, certainly a "viable proposition," assuming it's constructed properly.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

In fact, editing the post totally screwed them up..... that bites.... they are gone

Go to the chaski site and just search on "grizzly vertical horizontal" over all posts in general discussion" and you'll find a couple under "rust on the ways" and "grizzley vertical horizontal mill"

That would be here:

http://www.chaski.com/ubb/postlist.p...=gendiscussion

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 07-16-2005).]

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G3617

Buckshot

Is this the one? I like the concept but if you look close at the specs. the working envelope is pretty small compared to a similiar vertical mill.

Jon
        Jon Bohlander
        My PM Blog

Comment

Why Grizzly doesn't offer this machine with a 40 taper I'll never know. The horizontal spindle needs the #40's rigidity and torque to drive milling arbors. \

It seems a third of my shop time is spent cursing the limitations of the wimpy R-8 tooling on my mill.

I got the drawings done on a replacement quill and spindle having roller bearings and a #40 MMT for my BP clone. About $400 in materials plus bearings. Another round tuit job as if I don't already have a stack of them.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 07-16-2005).]

Comment

........Thanks all. Moldmonkey, yeah that's the one. My mistake, I was seeing it as a Shop Fox in my mind.

It's work envelope as a mill compared to what I have now (which is zero) wouldn't be a hardship. Actually I've been doing a bit of milling on the lathe so lets say it's not quite zero mill capability.

I was actually considering one of the much smaller knee mills. Yet the horizontal function is an added interesting feature. Probably prove usefull in steam engine bedplate milling.

I don't have room in my 2 car garage for a vertical and a horizontal mill. Heck, finding room for a bench grinder dedcated to tool grinding is a problem.

Rick
            Son of the silver stream ..... Bullet caster.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Why Grizzly doesn't offer this machine with a 40 taper I'll never know. The horizontal spindle needs the #40's rigidity and torque to drive milling arbors.</font>
              I'm almost finished with assembling a Clausing horizontal mill from parts of two mills. It has a 30 taper spindle and I'd appreciate your thoughts on how hard that can be worked. It has a 1-1/2 HP motor - can one safely assume that any milling that doesn't overload the motor will be OK for the arbor/spindle?

Mike
              Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

Buckshot,

Rockwell made a combined vertical/horizontal mill and these sometimes show up on the used market. They seem to bring around $2500 when in decent shape from what I've heard/seen. A friend has one and is pretty happy with it.

Mike
                Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

I'm almost finished with assembling a Clausing horizontal mill from parts of two mills. It has a 30 taper spindle and I'd appreciate your thoughts on how hard that can be worked. It has a 1-1/2 HP motor - can one safely assume that any milling that doesn't overload the motor will be OK for the arbor/spindle?

Mike
                  ===============================================

Mike, I have 30 nmbt taper in my vertical 2 hp that I have had for 20 years and I don't think you will have anything to worry about. It seems plenty strong and rigid. If pushed, I'm sure there will be other things complaining before the 30 taper.
                  Michael

Comment

For what it's worth, my h-mill has a 3MT taper, and I think when the drawbar is tightened, the key will shear or cutter will fracture before that taper lets go.

Don't all the NMTB tapers have "drive ears" anyway?

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

The spindle on this mill does have the drive ears so it sounds like there is nothing to worry about.

Forrest just had me worried there for a bit - parts for these are hard to find&lt;g&gt;.
                      Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

Buckshot, I have had one of those H/V mills for a year now. I bought mine from the House of Tools in Edmonton. It cost a lot more than what Grizzly is asking.
                        I have 16" of vertical space under the spindle, table is a little short at 9 by 32. The X feed is smooth and strong.
                        The Horizontal comes with it,s own 2hp. motor, two arbors with spacers and the outboard support block. It is possible to change over from vert. to horz. without disturbing the vert. head.
                        The speed selections for the horz. should be lowered to allow for 6 to 8' cutters. should be possible with a pulley change.
                        When I tried a 6" x 1/2 cutter on test slot in mild steel, 1/4" depth of cut, no vibration or stress occured.
                        I love it! Doug

Comment

At least you can get arbors for that easily, loaded with spacers and bearing sleeves. B style that would be. IIRC, that's what you need, though.

Victor Machinery has 30 taper arbors.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

I really like the look of the "Grizzly"
                            design, has the advantage of not having to change a setup when going from horiz'l to vertical, one thing I wish the table pivoted
                            like a true universal.
                            It also saves space if that's a concern.

Graeme

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GRH:
                              ...one thing I wish the table pivoted
                              like a true universal.
                              </font>
                              Graeme,

I believe the table does swivel on this model -- 45 deg. right and left. It's not mentioned in the link, but in the catalog.

Comment

Working...
                              X