Anisotropy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anisotropy

anisotropy-gr a turning. the refractivity of an object.unequal measurement consisting of asymetric parts.

The short version from the OED

Damn you Forrest.

I got yer 'compendium' right here.

Anisotropy? D'ya get that from sausage pizza? Oh and compendium is what they pur in sherpening stones. "Illigitumus non Conpendium." did I get the quote right?

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 08-31-2005).]

Comment

I thought anisotropy was a phenomenon related to craniorectosis.
      The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Can you take pennicillin for that?
        WANNABE

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Forrest Addy:
          Anisotropy? D'ya get that from sausage pizza? Oh and compendium is what they pur in sherpening stones. "Illigitumus non Conpendium." did I get the quote right?

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 08-31-2005).]
          </font>
          "sherpening stones" I'm Sure you must mean "Illegitimi Non Carborundum."

[This message has been edited by egpace (edited 09-01-2005).]
          Ed Pacenka

Comment

No, Forrest meant compendium.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Anisotropy: Microscopic anisotropy relates to the variation of a property measured perpendicular to the bedding from that measured parallel to the bedding because plate-like mineral grains and interstices tend to orient themselves parallel to the bedding. Macroscopic anisotropy relates to the variation resulting from thin beds and fracture planes whose properties differ appreciably from those of the remaining volume over which a measurement is made.

(It's a grinding wheel thing)

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 09-01-2005).]

Comment

How about this? Anistropy is what makes wooden musical instruments sound so sweet.

Comment

Evan,
                  Notice the wink...

Illegitimi Non Carborundum...

"Don't let the bastards wear you down"

Ed

PS Spent a year making tools to grind precision optics.
                  Ed Pacenka

Comment

Anisotropy is a variation in mechanical properties in each direction (x,y & z).

Metals are generally isotropic (equal properties in all directions).

Wood and composites are anisotropic. They exhibit different properties parallel and perpendicular to the grain (or to the fibers).

Mike P
                    Mike P
                    1919 13" South Bend Lathe
                    1942 Bridgeport M-head Mill

Comment

"Metals are generally isotropic (equal properties in all directions)."

Not so. Various processes cause metal to have anisotropic properties. This especially applies to certain cold working techniques. For instance, cold rolled and stretcher leveled aircraft aluminum sheet has a distinct grain structure that is aligned with the long dimension of the sheet. In the high strength alloys such as 2024 and especially the 7000 series it makes a big difference to operations such a brake forming. This must be taken into account when calculating bend radii.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I thought anisotropy was a phenomenon related to craniorectosis.</font>

THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike P:
                          Anisotropy is a variation in mechanical properties in each direction (x,y & z).

Metals are generally isotropic (equal properties in all directions).

Wood and composites are anisotropic. They exhibit different properties parallel and perpendicular to the grain (or to the fibers).

Mike P
                          </font>

Regardless of what materials have which properties, that's the best and clearest explaination of what anisotropy really is. Sorry Evan - sometimes the dictionary just makes thing worse...

And yes, the previous post best describes craniorectosis.

[This message has been edited by Wirecutter (edited 09-01-2005).]
                          The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Turbidity: the effect of cloudiness in a fluid or gas..

I have calibrated turbidity meters.

Comment

Turgidity:

Comment

Working...
                              X