Chip pan - Stainless or Aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chip pan - Stainless or Aluminum

Getting ready to make a chip pan for under my lathe.

What materials are recommended/used

Aluminum (Aluminium across the pond)- Cheaper, easier to bend, but wears more easily. 16 gauge.

Stainless - more expensive, harder to form, much more durable. 20 gauge.

Thanks
    Karl

------------------
    At a certain point in the course of any project, it comes time to shoot the engineers and build the damn thing.
    At a certain point in the course of any project, it comes time to shoot the engineers and build the damn thing.

What's wrong with 16ga carbon steel?

I would go with the aluminum if your stuck with an either or situation.The thicker ga. should make it stiffer.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Stainless if you have to carbon steel works great.

You do not want aluminum. It's soft and the chips are hard to move and sweep from it.

Comment

I agree with Forrest, spend the money and get the stainless. The clean up is a lot easier as the chips will not mar the surface like they would with Aluminum.

Comment

how about an old shallow baking pan? allready made & works great!
          geno

Comment

Baking Pan is what I use. Cheap and ready made. Beware of SWMBO.

Comment

Can you get 14 foot baking pans ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

No, but you can get a 5 pack of disposable aluminum 20" roaster pans for a few dollars.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far.

The pan I need will be 24"x60". I already have a carbon steel pan, but didn't want to use it. I'd have to paint it (more scratches, appearance), clean and oil it (dust collector), or galvanize it (why bother).

I was going to use stainless for appearance, but someone this weekend suggested aluminum and I wanted to double check here.

Karl

------------------

Comment

Rust? your lathe don't leak oil like mine does?

Gee, everything around my lathe is oiled well. The mill setup front to front with the lathe even gets oiled. But, I can run both at once.

I'd stay with something that works.. heavy enough to load up with at least 5gallons of chips. I got two 5 gallon buckets under mine right now that need to go somewhere.. I been putting them in a hole next to the privacy fence.

David

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kdahm:
                      I'd have to paint it (more scratches, appearance), clean and oil it (dust collector), or galvanize it (why bother).
                      </font>
                      Hmmmm.... Mine oils itself..... no problem. And as for dust, its full of chips anyhow, so...........?

Don't let the "really clean shop trap" get you... it's a lot of work, and you'll make the rest of us look bad

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 08-16-2005).]

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Greetings from Toano, Va
                        I use an 18x30 flat oil drip pan from NAPA under my Taig hybred lathe. It works well and was about 5 bucks. Made a plexiglas back shield with a magnetic base to keep swarf off the wall. Note: The hybred lathe is a regular Taig mounted on 50mmx100mm 80/20 extruded aluminum.

------------------
                        Russ Hobgood
                        Russ Hobgood

Comment

My 12 x 5 Hendey has an impressive cast iron chip tray (oil tray on a cone head) but is awkward to clean out.

I use a baking pan stradling the chip tray that is super easy to remove and dump.

Pete

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Stevenson:
                            Can you get 14 foot baking pans ?</font>
                            Sure.........just take 7 or 8 two footers, snip off the ends and weld them together.

You "can" weld........right John???

Comment

Karl, the Carbon Steel chip pan under my 1943 Logan lathe is still holding up well---no rust spots, maybe a few dis-colored sports, but, heck, I don't worry about its cosmetic appearance, just does it catch chips and cutting oil, which it does very well.

Comment

Working...
                              X