OT- Pumping out New Orleans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- Pumping out New Orleans?

So, the pumps are running. And just what are they pumping and where? Theya re pumping the most contaminated crap you can imagine, into the lake and Mississippi River. And the river dumps into the Gulf. So what kind of impact do you think this will have? And, most importantly, they are doing it against Federal Law! This is setting a presidence that will have imact fro ever. The Federal Government says "it's a time of emergency", so it's OK to polute. So does that mean if a company says it's in an emergency, they can polute too, since the Federal Government did?

Would you have them put into tank trucks and send it to a treatment plant?

Also the gasoline has stoped going up becouse the EPA has slackend the rules on clean air gas. Or so the prez. says.

So we pollute the water and air to save money.

------------------
    The tame Wolf !

Comment

the solution to polution is dilution.

Comment

Everything winds up in the ocean and becomes part of the great circle of life.

I think I'll have a cheeseburger.

Comment

Of course, YOU don't actually KNOW how contaminated it is, you are guessing.

You are probably right, but the point remains.

And, do you expect them to treat it in buckets? If they DID have to treat every ounce of it, they would be still working when the last of it evaporated, sometime in 2015.

What do you think they will do with whatever is on the ground after de-watering the place? Fire it into the sun?

Besides, your own house and yard, if you are an average American, is so polluted, from your own activities, and your predecessors, as to be nearly a superfund site. Pesticide residue, lead paint, chemical cleaners of all sorts...... the list goes on.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

I still say that not much of New Orleans will be salvageable so they ought to plan on burying most of it right where it stands. Get the dredges going and fill in the bowl raising this key strategic city out of the flood zone. maybe save a historic distric, but start fresh on the rest.

Greg C.

Comment

Recall all the shipping tonnage that went down in the North Atlantic during WWII, with its fuel, oils, human and other cargo. Think of Lake Erie, nearly dead in the middle of the last century from industrial and municipal waste. Given a chance and time, things recover. The Gulf coast is even now being flushed by the Mississippi, mightiest river on the continent. To the Greenies and Tree Huggers it is an imperfect solution. But it's the best option we have.

Wes
              Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
              ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Well, I can see from these few replies, that the thought process here is "let it fly". I never said I have the answer, but on the other hand, I disagree to turn your back on something that is completely wrong. The impacts this polution will have will last for decades. Remember that when you go to eat seafood next time. And what this polution will do to the seafood industry there, just to name one. If you can't imagine what type of contaminants are floating around down there, watch Fox News.

Comment

For more information on the pumps themselves, see here-

www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=014167

Comment

Don't forget that Lake Ponchatrain empties into the Gulf too.

The Gulf is already messed up enough. Here in Florida the EPA issued an emergency permit to the state in 2003 to dump up to 534 million gallons of "treated" waste water from a bankrupt phosphate plant into the Gulf. They say the discharge of the treated water isn't harmful and not linked to the severe Red Tide in the area.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/secretary.../pp/oct_qa.pdf

http://tampatrib.com/MGB41NS2ECE.html

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rws:
                      So, the pumps are running. And just what are they pumping and where? Theya re pumping the most contaminated crap you can imagine, into the lake and Mississippi River. And the river dumps into the Gulf. So what kind of impact do you think this will have? And, most importantly, they are doing it against Federal Law! This is setting a presidence that will have imact fro ever. The Federal Government says "it's a time of emergency", so it's OK to polute. So does that mean if a company says it's in an emergency, they can polute too, since the Federal Government did?</font>
                      I think you will find there is a difference between a company with some pollution saying it's in an emergency, and Katrina. really.

Comment

I understand that during normal times, New Orleans employed 128 pumps to keep the city drained. Last word I had, only 2 are back on line. BTW: I read this week that 2 of the remaining pumps are operated by old fashioned Corliss Steam Engines.

Comment

Yep, let it fly. That's not to say that they should continue as before. The city has the opportunity to start fresh and do it right this time. Will they do it?

Wes
                          Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                          ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

on the news last night they had on a former Senator (i think) from LA. he said it has taken decades for the lake to get clean enough that they were just recently (like this year) starting to see fish populations return and people could fish there and eat the fish. he said with all the crap they are pumping back in there, the lake will be back to the polluted condition it was decades ago.

i'm no enviro whacko, but i do believe at least SOME treatment of the water should take place. i mean, the fact that you won't be able to fish or swim in the lake for the next decade must have some financial impact. ah hell, another $40 or $50 billion in aid will tide them over. that only works out to $130 per US citizen.

andy b.
                            The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

I don't expect that any of the flooded houses and buildings can be returned to safe livable condition. They will have to be razed. When I hear some of the statements about how long they think it will take to get "New Orleans back on it's feet" I really wonder what they are smoking. What it is is the largest superfund site yet.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 09-07-2005).]
                              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X